And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: Robert Eurich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Continuing the coverage from a few weeks ago, it seems that after 10
years the message is getting through as Milton High in Wisconsin appears
on the verge of dropping its "Redmen" nickname and "stoic warrior" logo.

Another effort made to change Milton logo
http://www.jsonline.com/news/Metro/apr99/990524anothereffortmadetoch.asp

<clipped excerpt>

Another effort made to change Milton logo

By Kathleen Ostrander
Special to the Journal Sentinel Milton -- After years of contentious
debate, an effort to change the Milton High
School nickname -- the Redmen -- and its logo is picking up steam.
May 24, 1999

The logo, which depicts the head of an Indian in full headdress, has
been the subject of controversy for nearly a decade.

In 1991 an American Indian, Carol Hand, went to court to seek an
injunction barring the district from using the logo and nickname because
she said it was derogatory to Indians.

A judge ruled there was nothing in state statutes that gave him the
power to do that, but the district later changed the logo from what some
considered a cartoonish Indian character to one described at a "stoic
warrior."

Still, the controversy hasn't disappeared, and when teacher Jeff
Churchwell passed around a petition asking staff to support getting rid
of the Redmen nickname and logo, 90% of the faculty signed it.

Also, the Milton Clergy Council voted to support efforts to stop using
the logo and nickname. The matter will come before the School Board
tonight.

Because of the recent efforts, Superintendent Jon Platts said he
expected to see the nickname and logo dropped.

"I think, now, we are going to see a change," he said. "I think it's
time, and people are tired that this continually divides the community."

Churchwell agrees that the time has come to get rid of the nickname and
logo.

"It is embarrassing. How can we promote diversity and mutual respect
with this?" he said. "I am fed up with the hypocrisy. We as educators
are supposed to be teaching respect and other values, and this does
nothing to promote that."

<end excerpt>

--
American Indian Sports Team Mascots
http://www.geocities.com/~earnestman/1indexpage.htm

"Little drops of rain wear away the greatest of stones."

What do lizards and rock music have in common?
http://www.onelist.com
They both have communities at ONElist.  Find yours today!
You are on the anti racism list to sub/unsub go to:
http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi?userinfo

"We simply chose an Indian as the emblem.
 We could have just as easily chosen any
uncivilized animal."
  Eighth Grade student writing about his school's
  mascot, 1997