And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Robert White Eye of the White Eye drum from Walpole died in a construction
accident in Southfield, Michigan..We mourn this death of our relative..
Ishgooda
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
info sent by Catherine Davids
Ish---I found this article on the Detroit Free Press web site
Catherine

*************************

>From the Detroit Free Press
May 25, 1999

Worker Dies in Trench Cave-In

A 50-year old sewer line worker from Canada was buried alive and died
in Southfield on Monday after the walls of a trench in which he was
working collapsed.

For more than 6 1/2 hours, 50 rescue workers from at least two fire
departments labored to free Robert Whiteye of Thamesville, Ontario.
desperate that he might still be alive.  The rescue squad included
Pontiac firefighters who specialize in collapses and entrapments.

When the cave-in happened, coworkers included two of Whiteye's
relatives who leaped into the trench digging frantically.  They
briefly hadd Whiteye in their grasp, but he slipped away and
disappeared under the dirt, said Southfield Fire Chief Robert Ozias.

Ozias said firefighters had to finally order Whiteye's relatives out
of the trench.

By 8 p.n. rescuers began to expect the worst and were working
cautiously under a steady drizzle, beaming floodlights and dropping
temperatures.  Whiteye's body was recovered at 10:30 p.m.

Whiteye, a Delaware, was dead not long after the intial collapse,
Ozias said.  The original cave-in occured at about 4:00 p.m. at 9
Mile Road and Lake Ravines Drive in Southfield.

Rain made rescue efforts difficult as dirt began to muddy.  "We'd get
both shores up and it would cave in around us again," said Captain
Tim Campbell of Pontianc's rescue unit.  "The damn thing was falling
all around them and we had to get them out of there, otherwise we'd
be digging two more bodies out of there," Ozias said of Whiteye's
coworkers.

Campbell said the soil conditions were perfect for an accident.  "The
conditions were the highest risk of cave-in other than free-falling
sand," he said.

The firefighters "were digging like crazy," said Ted Crawford, 54,
who lives near the accident.  Witnesses said that Whiteye was laying
foot-wide water and sewer pipes into a 16-foot deep trench for a
newly constructed house when the clay-riddled soil fell in on him.
Whiteye was in the trench alone, helping remove water from it when
the walls caved in, according to Southfield Deputy City Administrator
Ron DeMaagd.  DeMaagd said three city inspectors and engineers from a
city-hired consulting company were at the job site.  He said
inspectors told him workers were trying to stabilize the trench
before beginning work on the pipes.  "This is your second biggest
fear with underground excavation," DeMaagd said.  "This is one of the
cleaner projects.  It's just one those freak accidents."

Southfield Mayor Dennis Fracassi said he was "just absolutely sick"
about the accident.  "The weather was bad and I was kind of worried
about the soil, and all the time I was driving over there I was
saying, 'Gosh, I hope they get him out of there,'" Fracassi said.

Whiteye was working with a crew from Lanzo Construction Co. a
Roseville-based company that specializes in sewer and water supply
lines.  "Lanzo Construction Co. and its employees are totally
devestated by this accident," vice president Angelo D'Alessandro said
through a company spokesman.

Whiteye's ex-wife and other relatives and friends at the scene
declined to comment.  Salvation Army representatives were helping the
family, as were two chaplains from the Southfield Police Department.

Whiteye's second cousin Rhonda Whiteye, a neighbor of his on an
Ontario Indian Reservation where scores of their relatives live, said
she learned of his death from another relative.  "I was watching that
thing all day today on TV, thinking how horrible it was for whoever
was in there," she said.  "And then one of my cousins called, asked
me if I knew Robert.  I said, yeah.  He said, 'Welll, he's dead.'"
She said Whiteye was diivorced and had two sons and three daughters.
a son and daughter lived with him.  She said Whiteye had been living
about 20 years in a house beside his father's home on the
moraviantown Reserve, where about  320 Indians reside about 10 miles
outside Thamesville - a 90 minute drive from Windsor.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html