And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

When reality clashes with Stereotypes

E-mails, phone messages full of threats, invective against whale tribe
http://web3.stlnet.com/postnet/news/wires.nsf/National/C9D22EB9E084643586256
77D00377EEB?OpenDocument

Dave Wellman, a research sociologist at the University of California at
Berkeley and author of ``Portraits of  White Racism'' (Cambridge University
Press), said he wasn't surprised by the violent reaction to the hunt. He
had no  hesitation in calling some of the reactions blatantly racist.

``When you start hearing language that it's time to hunt Indians again, you
have to realize that's the language of genocide,'' Wellman said. A
necessary presupposition is that
 Indians are subhuman, ``huntable'' like animals. ``You don't hear
peoplesaying it's time to hunt white people when a couple of white men drag
a black man behind a truck in Texas.''

 Violent racism is almost never  recognized as racism while it's happening;
it's called something else,   Wellman said. The Nazi campaign to
exterminate Jews was called The Final Solution. The Indian wars of the
1800's were called Manifest Destiny or White Man's Burden or Winning the
West. The Indians were savages,and whites were bringing Christianity to
save them. Decades passed before portions of society realized what was
done to the Indians was genocide.

Racism is built in to the foundation of this country and it has never gone
away, Wellman said. It simply doesn't get articulated during periods of
quiet  when there's no conflict. ``It's in
moments like this when the racism comes out into the open. But it was
always there.''

One of the most vocal and articulate opponents of the Makah hunt, Will
Anderson of the Progressive Animal Welfare Society, agreed that racism has
surfaced -- ``It's a reflection of a
certain percentage of our society that we all know exist'' -- but he
cautioned against labeling as racist all anger toward the hunt.

``People are in shock. They're in a stage of unfocused anger,'' he said.
``When there's such an emotional issue at stake, and so much work is at
stake, it pushes people to the edge,
and that's what we're seeing.''

Anderson said most of the organized protesters he knows have tried hard to
separate the deed from the doer, have acknowledged the wrongs done to
natives in the past. But the Makah Tribe, like any other political entity,
``and like the Constitution and state and federal laws, are fair targets
for challenge.''

               <<snipped>>

Media-savvy anti-whaling activists, such as Paul Watson of the Sea Shepherd
Conservation Society, have said all along the best strategy against the
Makah hunt would be to let the
world see the actual killing. Whatever people believed intellectually would
be overpowered by the sheer drama of a public slaughter.
<<snipped>

Ted Kerasote, author of ``Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt'' (Random
House), said the reaction to  the Makah hunt reveals a particular
hypocrisy in American culture. Many
Americans publicly espouse diversity and multiculturalism, and even mouth
support for the renaissance of indigenous cultures. But the moment a native
community does something that  ``doesn't fit into our preconceived notions
of who we want aboriginals to be,'' we threaten our wrath -- the wrath of
the majority.

One way to show wrath is by using stereotypes as a weapon of ridicule or
rebuke. References to scalping and loincloths and tomahawks have gone
unchecked in many public forums.

``Certainly some of the negative reactions have been expressed in terms
that reveal the speakers' or writer's stereotypes of Indians, which  are
the foundation of racism,'' said
Alexandra Harmon, assistant professor  at the UW American Indian Studies
Center. ``There is an astonishing degree of insensitivity and ethnocentrism
in one critic's claim that any culture that regains its pride by killing
this way is displaying bloodthirsty savagery.

``Again and again in American history,'' said Harmon, ``non-Indian
Americans have demanded that  Indians act or live in some way other than
Indians have chosen. The current
Makah story is a lesson about how hard it is to recognize and resist that
same ethnocentric impulse today.''

              (c) 1999, The Seattle Times.
               Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune
               Information Services.