And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 10:25:23 EDT
Subject: Tobacco lawsuits
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

from the Arizona Republic @ http://www.azcentral.com/news/0528smoke.shtml
Indian nations signal intent to seek damages
By Chris Moeser
The Arizona Republic
May 28, 1999

Native American tribes around the nation are quietly preparing lawsuits that
could seek $1 billion in damages from tobacco companies for tobacco-related
health problems.

The claims likely will be similar to the suits filed by states that netted
more than $200 billion in settlements from Big Tobacco, but based on
different legal arguments.

Former Navajo Nation President Albert Hale says 35 Indian nations have signed
onto his lawsuit, which he expects to file in late June or early July in
either state or tribal courts. Hale said several Arizona tribes have pledged
support, but he declined to name them or say how many had decided to join the
lawsuit.

He added that Navajo Nation officials are still considering whether to join
the effort.

Nationwide, Native Americans have the highest rate of smoking of any ethnic
group. Almost 40 percent of Native Americans and Alaska Natives smoke,
according to a 1995 national survey by the Surgeon General's Office, compared
with a smoking rate of about 25 percent nationwide. The Indian Health Service
estimates that two out of every five Native American deaths can be attributed
to tobacco use.

In Arizona, the percentage of American Indian children who use tobacco has
been especially disturbing. Twenty-six percent of children ages 14-15 and 33
percent of children ages 16-17 smoke, according to a 1997 survey by the
Arizona Department of Health Services. But a 1997 survey by DHS indicated the
overall rate of smoking among Native Americans in Arizona is only 13 percent
-- far below the national average.

Hale said tobacco companies have specifically targeted Indians and other
minority groups with marketing and advertising for tobacco products, which
some say has caused an increase of smoking on reservations.

"It slowly has increased smoking just because of the mass-media approach by
tobacco companies," said Gerry RainingBird of the Inter Tribal Council of
Arizona.

Hale said he noticed an increase in marketing toward Native American groups
about eight years ago, when tobacco companies began to sponsor powwows and
rodeos.

"That was a conscious effort on their part after they found out that minority
groups were an untapped market," Hale said.

William Maledon, a Phoenix attorney who represents tobacco giant Philip
Morris, said the lawsuit, if filed, would be another attempt "to fashion a
lawsuit out of nothing."

Maledon said he believed a couple of tribes have already attempted similar
lawsuits with no success.

"I'm quite sure there wouldn't be much of a case," Maledon said. "But I'll
wait and see what their theories are. I can't imagine there's going to be
much merit to this."

Hale, a St. Michaels attorney who also works in Albuquerque, suggested the
lawsuits could seek as much as $1 billion in damages.

"It is progressing," he said. "I've been traveling extensively throughout
Indian Country since January, meeting with Indian leaders and Indian tribal
councils and giving them information about this possibility. ... Hopefully,
we'll be able to get something for Indian nations. Certainly, they deserve
it."

Native American communities did not receive any of the $206 billion
settlement between 46 states and the major tobacco companies. The agreement
does not forbid Indian nations from pursuing their own claims.

"It gave Indian nations the option to go after tobacco companies on their
own, which is what we're attempting to help them with," Hale said.

But the legal arguments will have to be different. One of the main claims
states made against Big Tobacco sought the recovery of Medicare and Medicaid
costs caused by tobacco use.

Unlike the states, the federal government paid for those health care costs on
Indian reservations.

Steve Berman, a Seattle attorney who represented Arizona and 12 other states
in tobacco lawsuits, said Native Americans must come up with another legal
theory on which to base their suit.

Berman said he is being interviewed to represent one tribe in its own
lawsuit, a tribe he declined to name. He also suggested that Hale's estimate
of $1 billion was too large.

"I do think the Native Americans have a claim," Berman said. He predicted
there will be several lawsuits filed against tobacco companies by Indian
nations, a strategy he said would be more successful than a joint suit by a
cluster of tribes.

Former Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods agrees that the tribes have a
good case. But he suggested that they should also consider adopting tough
anti-smoking laws and discontinue the practice of selling discount cigarettes
on reservations.

Many reservations, including those in suburban Phoenix, sell tax-free
cigarettes.

"If they want the tobacco companies to change their ways, then the tribes
should also not be a convenient outlet for discount selling," Woods said.

But he added that Native American youth have been bombarded with the same
advertising as other children. Nearly one-third of Native Americans ages 16
and 17 are smokers.

"The tribal nations were subjected to the same sort of marketing that
children outside the reservation were subjected to and yet they don't have
any of the benefits of the suits," Woods said.

"It's probably something that the tobacco companies should address
proactively to see if they couldn't come to some sort of resolution with all
of the tribes in the country. If not, I think they will be subjected to
lawsuits."

Settlement money could be a windfall for some cash-starved Indian
communities, particularly those without gaming. Hale estimated the Navajo
Nation, one of the largest Indian populations in the country, could get as
much as $20 million.

* * *

Chris Moeser can be reached at (602) 444-8069 or at [EMAIL PROTECTED] via
e-mail.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html