And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: http://www.turtleisland.org via LISN

Newsrelease:
PIPE CEREMONY ON PARLIAMENT HILL MARKS BEGINNING OF
TREATY 8 CENTENNIAL COMMEMORATION
http://www.inac.gc.ca/news/may99/may31.html

OTTAWA, ONTARIO May 31, 1999—Representatives of the First Nations who
signed Treaty No. 8 in 1899 are marking
the beginning of the trek home for the original treaty document from the
National Archives of Canada to the Treaty 8 location
where it was signed 100 years ago. The commemoration ceremony, which
included a pipe ceremony, was held on Parliament
Hill at noon on May 31, 1999. Those attending included a delegation from
Treaty No. 8, the National Chief of the Assembly of
First Nations, Phil Fontaine and the Minister of Indian Affairs and
Northern Development, the Honourable Jane Stewart.

The purpose of the pipe ceremony is to bless the original treaty before
it leaves the National Archives for exhibit during the
Treaty 8 Centennial Commemoration in northern Alberta on June 21, 1999.
The Archives has rich holdings related to the First
Nations, including more than 600 treaties, land surrenders and
agreements.

“We have not had possession of our document since the signing 100 years
ago but now we are asking for its safe journey home
to Treaty No. 8. The prayers and offerings presented here today mark the
sacred nature and promises that this document
represents for our people. The solemn nature of this event is in honour
of this”, said Chief Richard Davis of the Swan River
First Nations who is also the Chairperson of the Treaty No. 8 Centennial
committee.

The National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations, Phil Fontaine, was
also present to mark this momentous occasion.
“Treaties are the basis of our relationship with the Crown and the
Canadian government. This event highlights the
nation-to-nation relationship between Canada and First Nations citizens
in ways which words can never hope to match. It’s a
sacred relationship between the ancestors of our peoples and the
representatives of the Crown”, stated National Chief
Fontaine.

“This Treaty is a symbol of the historic bonds between Canada and the
Treaty No. 8 First Nations,” said Minister Stewart.
“Our ancestors forged a partnership based on mutual respect,
responsibility and sharing one hundred years ago, and we honour
that partnership today with the blessing of the treaty. I look forward
to the official commemoration of this sacred document on
June 21 in Grouard, Alberta.”

First negotiated in June 1899, Treaty No. 8 embraces an area of some
840,000 square kilometres in the Athabasca region of
Canada’s northwestern interior. At the time, the treaty represented the
largest land settlement undertaken by the Canadian
government with First Nations. It encompasses much of what is now the
northern half of Alberta, the northeastern quarter of
British Columbia, the northwestern corner of Saskatchewan, and the area
south of Hay River and Great Slave Lake in the
present-day Northwest Territories.

Upon the treaty’s return to Ottawa, it will be the centre-piece of a
National Archives of Canada exhibition marking the treaty’s
centennial. This exhibition, simply titled Treaty 8: 1899-1999, will be
open at the Archives from June 21 (National Aboriginal
Day) to December 31 in their Wellington St. location. A complete virtual
version of the exhibition will be available on the Web
site of the National Archives of Canada www.archives.ca.

For more information, contact:

Phil Mercredi,
Marketing and Promotions co-ordinator,