With Perfect Justice... Nez Perce Treaties - http://members.stratos.net/cpetras

http://laws.findlaw.com/9th/9735305.html

U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
CREE v FLORES
9735305

Filed October 8, 1998

OPINION

TASHIMA, Circuit Judge:

Defendants, various Washington State officials
("Defendants"), appeal the district court's grant of summary
judgment in favor of the Yakama Indian Nation and individ-
ual Yakama Indians holding that the Treaty with the Yakamas
("Yakama Treaty" or "Treaty") exempts them from various
Washington truck license and overweight permit fees. The
Treaty clause in issue assures the Yakamas "the right, in com-
mon with citizens of the United States, to travel upon all pub-
lic highways." Treaty with the Yakamas, Art. III, 12 Stat. 951,
953 (1855).1 We hold that the district court did not err in
interpreting the Yakama Treaty as exempting the Yakama
Indians from the fees at issue. Accordingly, we affirm the
judgment of the district court.

[snip]