And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

This message is forwarded to you as a service of Zapatistas Online.
Comments and volunteers are welcome.  Write [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Send submissions to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 23:40:04 -0400
From: irlandesa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Urgent Action re: Chiapas Detainees
Sender: irlandesa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 1-NAP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, chiapas-i <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        chiapas-l <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        enlace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Originally published in Spanish by the Fray Bartolome de Las Casas
        Human Rights Center
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
_______________________________
Translated by irlandesa

Date:   Wednesday, June 9, 1999 18:41:13 +0000
From:   Centro de Derechos Humanos FBC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This Human Rights Center is calling urgently for telephone calls and faxes,
urging the release of Manuel Perez Constantino and Jesus Hernandez
Gutierrez, members of Xi'Nich, which we described in our Urgent Action
bulletin of this June 3.  On June 10 at 9:00 AM, the constitutional time
period will expire for resolving the legal situation of these two men.

The judge of the criminal branch of the judicial district of Las Casas is
studying the legal process that was initiated for the crimes of criminal
association and attacks on communications networks against Manuel Perez
Constantino and Jesus Hernandez Gutierrez, tzeltal indigenous, and members
of the Xi'Nich indigenous organization.

During the course of this week, the indigenous' defense was providing
elements that absolutely demonstrate that the accused had not participated
in the incidents with which they are charged.  The defense also observed
that the prosecutor concealed from the judge facts concerning the arbitrary
detention of the detainees, since it was included in the procedural
evidence that the Public Ministry agent saw the detainees in the status of
statement making  on June 2, and not on June 1, as actually occurred.

When the defense reviewed the case drawn up by the Public Ministry, they
determined that the crime of criminal association had not in any way been
proven, nor was the presence of the accused demonstrated in the crime of
attacks against communications networks.  For these reasons, the defense
met with the judge today, in order to speak to him about these
circumstances, and to request that, when resolving  the detainees' legal
situation tomorrow, he resolve by declaring Manuel Perez Constantino and
Jesus Hernandez Gutierrez free, due to lack of evidence to prosecute them.

We urgently ask all of you to make calls and send faxes to:

Noe Castanon Leon
President of the Supreme Court of the State of Chiapas
Tuxtla Gutierrez
Fax:  (52 961) 6 53 50

Governor of Chiapas
Lic. Roberto Albores Guillen
Av. Central 1 Oriente
Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas C.P. 29009
Fax:  (52 961) 2 09 17

********************************

ENLACE CIVIL A.C.

Calle Ignacio Allende 4
29200 San Cristobal de Las Casas
Chiapas, Mexico
Telephone and Fax:   52-967-82104

Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

CONSULT OUR WEB PAGE, WITH NEW INFORMATION EVERY 15 DAYS:
http://www.enlacecivil.org.mx
http://laneta.apc.org/enlacecivil

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html