And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:15:44 EDT

For Immediate Release
May 26, 1999
Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs

B.C., CANADA AND MCLEOD LAKE BAND SETTLE LAND CLAIM

VICTORIA - The governments of B.C. and Canada and the McLeod Lake Indian
Band have reached a negotiated agreement that will settle the litigation
and long-standing dispute over the band's claim for land and other
benefits of Treaty No. 8.

In a statement in the legislature today, Aboriginal Affairs Minister
Gordon Wilson said the agreement will result in McLeod Lake Indian band
members signing Treaty No. 8, an historic treaty signed in 1899.

"The agreement further demonstrates our commitment to resolve
outstanding land claims in B.C.," said Wilson. "Negotiated agreements
are clearly the most effective means of reconciling aboriginal and
non-aboriginal interests. I look forward to the conclusion of the McLeod
Lake settlement process in the months ahead."

The agreement settles a lawsuit, initiated by the band in 1983, which
resulted in an injunction in 1988 against logging in the area claimed by
the band.

"The agreement will benefit the regional economy and create land-use
certainty and economic stability for the McLeod Lake Indian band, the
forestry sector and local communities," said Prince George North MLA
Paul Ramsey.

The agreement was negotiated as settlement to litigation and was not
negotiated as part of the British Columbia Treaty Commission
comprehensive claims process.

All three parties will initial the agreement within the next three
months. After it is initialled, the agreement will be ratified by the
band within 45 days, by the B.C. government within 30 days after the
band ratifies the agreement and by Canada within three months. The three
parties will formally sign the agreement following ratification.

-30-

Note: The minister's statement  is available on the ministry Web site at

http://www.aaf.gov.bc.ca/aaf/news/Mcleodminst.htm.

The Draft Final Agreement is available at
http://www.aaf.gov.bc.ca/aaf/treaty/mlfinaldraft.htm

Contact: Peter Smith
Communications Br.
(250) 356-8750