And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:54:31 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tsuu T'ina: CONNIE & TY JACOBS

Wednesday, June 16, 1999
    Power questioned
    Social worker in Jacobs case defends ability

            By NOVA PIERSON, CALGARY SUN
    TSUU T'INA NATION --  A child welfare worker maintained
    she had the power to take children from a nation home, even
    though her education didn't meet job qualifications and her
    paperwork had lapsed.

    Connie Bish -- on the stand at the Jacobs fatality inquiry
    yesterday -- was one of the Tsuu T'ina Child and Family Services
    workers who tried to take Connie Jacobs' children March 22,
    1998.

    But Connie, 37, brought out a gun and minutes later she and son
    Ty, 9, died when she exchanged fire with a Mountie who arrived
    to help the women take Jacobs' four children and two
    grandchildren.

    While Bish -- under examination by Ed Onusko, the lawyer who
    represents Connie's family -- said the job required a diploma she
    didn't have, but she argued her 20 years of social work
    experience was enough to qualify her.

    "(The Tsuu T'ina Child and Family Services board) felt I met the
    requirements to be a child welfare case worker," Bish said.

    "I seem to have met them because they hired me."

    And Bish said the fact her provincially designated power to
    apprehend children had lapsed was simply a paperwork
    oversight by her boss.

    "In my mind I had the designated power," said Bish. "It was the
    paperwork and it wasn't my responsibility to do that."

    Bish accompanied her director Loraine Duguay that evening to
    do what she said was "an investigation" into the home, after
    learning Connie had assaulted her husband Hardy that day and
    that both had been drinking.

    Both Bish and Duguay have said the other was in charge.

              "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
               A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                    1957 G.H. Estabrooks
                www.angelfire.com/mn/mcap/bc.html