And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:18:11 -0400
From: Landis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

         THE INDIAN HELPER
                ~%^%~
          A WEEKLY LETTER
             -FROM THE-
 Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.
 VOL. XIV. FRIDAY, June 9, 1899  NUMBER 33
 WEALTH
 -----
  The man I have in mind owns little gold,
   No city lots or fertile farming land:
   No shares of railroad stock in his name stand,
  No bond or note or mortgage does he hold;
  No costly vestures do his form enfold:
   No prancing steeds or equipages grand
   Nor humblest servant are at his command:
  In all these ways the world has proven cold.

  He has no titles, holds no place of power;
   His daily labors bring him small return;
  Upon him Fortune often seems to lower;
   His lot is such as many a man would spurn;
  But he is rich in conscience and in health.
  And in his love for man lie mines of wealth!
    JAMES RAYMOND PERRY.
 =====================
 SOME THINGS.
    ----
  THAT BOYS OUGHT TO KNOW IN ETIQUETTE.

  Grandmother always knew just the proper thing for a boy to do, and
sometimes she would get her grandsons together and, peering over the
tops of her glasses severely, would say to them:
   Boys' if you want to be known as little gentlemen, remember that the
following things should be done:
   Hat lifted in saying "Good-by" or "How do you do?"
   Hat lifted when offering a seat in a car of acknowledging a favor.
   Keep step with anyone you walk with.
   Always precede a lady upstairs and ask her if you may precede her in
passing through a crowd or public place.
   Let a lady pass first always, unless she asks you to precede her.
   In the parlor stand until every lady is seated.
   Look people straight in the face when speaking or being spoken to.
   Let ladies pass through a door first, standing aside for them.
   In the dining room, take your seat after ladies and elders.
   Never play with knife, fork or spoon.

   Do not take your napkin in a bunch in your hand.
   Eat as fast or as slow as others and finish the course when they do.
   Rise when ladies leave the room and stand till they are out.  If all
go out together gentlemen stand by the door till ladies pass out.
   Special rules for the mouth are that all noise in eating or smacking
of the lips should be avoided.
   Cover the moth with hand or napkin when obliged to remove anything
from it.
   Use your handkerchief unobtrusively always.
   Always knock at any private room door.
 ==================

    A SUCCESSFUL SUPERINTENDENT.
     ---------------
  Miss Gaither known at Carlisle as having been one of us for a short
time and now Superintendent of the Umatilla Agency Boarding School is
making quite an enviable reputation for herself.  The following taken
from The East Oregon, published at Pendleton, in relation to an
entertainment given by the school recently, speaks for itself:
  Thursday evening the closing exercises of the government school for
Indian children occurred.  Quite a number of persons attended from
Pendleton, and they all speak in usual terms of appreciation for ht
evidence given of thorough training by the instructors, and the
brightness of the pupils.  Miss Gaither, the superintendent, was in
charge of the program, and received many expressions of commendation for
the fine showing her pupils made.
  The school here has been the subject of highly commendatory reports
from inspectors who have visited it recently, for the size and extent of
the school is said to be classed among the best in the entire list of
government Indian schools.
  The program rendered Thursday evening was enjoyed in every number.
(page 2)
          THE INDIAN HELPER
         PRINTED EVERY FRIDAY
                --AT THE--
Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.,
          BY INDIAN BOYS.
---> THE INDIAN HELPER is PRINTED by Indian
boys, but EDITED by The man-on-the-band-stand
         who is NOT an Indian.
    P R I C E: --10  C E N T S  A  Y E A R
Entered in the PO at Carlisle as second
        class mail matter.
Address INDIAN HELPER, Carlisle, Pa.
                  Miss Marianna Burgess, Manager.
Do not hesitate to take the HELPER from the
Post Office for if you have not paid for it
some one else has.  It is paid for in advance.
  Samuel Tilden, of Spalding, Idaho, says he is in good health, and
renews for the HELPER,. That is one way to keep in good health.
  Louisa Provost likes her new home in the country, and expects to have
a pleasant and profitable summer.
  Guy Leroy Stevick, '85 who has been practicing law in Denver, Col,
for a number of years, was appointed Assistant City Attorney.
-[Dickinsonian.
  Mr. Stevick is Major Pratt's son-in-law.
  The 2nd Given's League was defeated by a team from town last Saturday;
score 8 to 7.  To use language of the reporter, "Stay with them" small
boys, even if they are larger than you are.
  What are they observing so closely?  The ants at work.  And so when a
group of little boys are lying at the trunk of an old tree watching
something, one may be sure they have Professor Schurr's ant stories in
mind and are making a study of the busy little creatures.
  Are you warm?  How do you think the poor women feel, who have to sew
for their living these days in small crowded rooms called sweat shops,
in big cities, with heated brick walls all around them, and no chance
for God's fresh air to reach them?  How is the furnace man standing it,
as he works over red hot iron?   If there is a breath of air stirring we
get it at Carlisle.
  yes, Indeed, the Man-on-the-band-stand sees what our boys and girls on
farms are doing.  For instance, on eof our girls the other day thought
she would mount a steed and go look for the cow.  In fact she wanted a
VIEW of the farm, and as she was bare-headed with hair flying in the
breeze she made a picture for an artist.  But wait!  The picture came to
a sad end; for at full speed Angeline imagined herself a veritable rough
rider, the saddle strap turned and down came viewer and all, head first
while the horse picked up his heels and scampered off to the stable.  We
are happy to be able to state that no one was seriously hurt.

  Major Pratt has gone to New York City on business, and before he
returns will attend the Commencement exercises of the Fallsington High
School, from which John Dillon graduates this year.  We are always
proud of our students when they go through a school that is not
distinctively race.  John ha sour congratulations, and we believe he
will choose a line of usefulness off of the reservation where business
and thrift are more popular than idleness and ration getting.
  One of the boys wrote on his class paper, "House of Comets" for "House
of Commons" and then argued with his teacher that he was right.  "Had he
not looked in his dictionary, and did not the dictionary say Comet was a
member?"  That was as far as he read.  Had he continued he would have
seen that to be a member of the solar system was quite different from
being a member of the lower house of parliament, but he was very soon
convinced of his mistake.
  Program for Saturday evening, June 10, on the band stand is as
follows:
  1. March, "Military Maiden" -Wheeler; 2. Overture, "Wm. Tell"
-Rossini; 3. "Operatic Potpourri" -Beyer; 4. "Valse Mexicaine" -Estrada;
5. Patrol, "Blue and Gray" -Dalbey; 6. (a) "Chant de Espana" - Ripley;
(b) "Dem dear old days" -Tregina; 7. Overture, "Tannhauser" -Wagner; 8.
"Star Spangled Banner."
  Mr. James Wheelock played an acceptable clarinet solo at the Dickinson
College Glee Club and Orchestra Concert in Bosler Hall, last Monday
evening.  He was encored and responded with The Last Rose of Summer
beautifully rendered and highly appreciated.  In the Glee Club we
recognized Mr. Cayou, class '96 of our school, now Freshman of
Dickinson.
  Miss Cochran has lost a very pretty breastpin which she values
highly.  Any one finding it will kindly carry it to the owner.  The pin
is a gold one and enameled and is a collection of rings artistically
fastened.  It was lost on Tuesday evening, perhaps in the lane, perhaps
in Henderson's Woods, perhaps on the grounds.  Let us all look for it!
  Ah! Very nice! We have the pleasure this week of announcing the
marriage of our former student and Sergeant-Major, Mr. Chester
Cornelius, now clerk at Darlington, Oklahoma to L. Gertrude Smith, at
the Darlington Mission on June 7th.  Mr. Cornelius has hearty
congratulations showered upon him from hosts of Carlisle friends.
  We have the best water in the land - a cool, cistern-stored drink.  Do
not waste it by pumping 2 or 3 cupfuls to wash out the cup.  A very
little will do for that.  The summer rains are not allowed to run in the
cisterns, and the water may give out, then what?  Why, warm hydrant
water after that.
  Thomas Walker says that a base ball game was played at Line Ridge,
Columbia County, between the Indians up that way and the Cabin Run boys,
and the Indians won by a score of 18 to 14.  That is right.  The
Man-on-the-band-stand wants the Indians to win at everything.
  ANSWER TO LAST WEEK'S ENIGMA: Weather man.
(p 3)
  Cherry pie next.
  Strawberry feasts galore!
  Goodbye steam, for a while.
  Mr. Kemp is taking a vacation.
  Mrs. Dandridge is off for a vacation.
  The late rains put all vegetation on the jump.
  Dickinson Commencement has had a warm week.
  Strawberry pickers are in demand at the farm.
  Samuel Spencer and sister Mamie have gone west.
  Strawberry shortcake for the student body. Yum-yum!
  The three Bailly sisters have gone to their homes in the west.
  We play Harrisburg Country Club at Harrisburg tomorrow.
  Mrs. Peter, of Chicago, is visiting her daughter at our school.
  The mangle boys at the laundry enjoyed a feast of berries on
Wednesday.
  A select company ate strawberries in Miss Cochran's room on Wednesday
evening.
  Strawberries are plentiful to market and our own patches are beginning
to be picked.
  A game between the Seniors and Juniors as we go to press.  It will be
an interesting game to watch.
  Second Given's League of baseball boys in full baseball uniform were
photographed by Miss Ray the other day.
  We are grieved to learn of the severe illness of Mrs. Kemp, the wife
of our instructor in harness-making, who resides in town.
  A small class was asked in Sunday school the name of Ananias' wife,
and a bright little Indian boy replied: "Mrs. Ananias."
  School adjourned on Wednesday that teachers and others might attend
the Commencement Exercises of Dickinson College.
  Mr. George B. Snyder, Professor of Mathematics at State Normal School,
Shippensburg, was a guest of Miss Forster, on Sunday.
  Mrs. Lindsay, and children, of Huntingdon, paid a visit recently to
their mother Mrs. Rumsport, the efficient cook at the teachers' club.
  Mr. S. Cushman Caldwell, of the Editorial Staff of the New York
Tribune, and Mrs. Caldwell were among the distinguished visitors on
Tuesday.
  Caleb Sickles and Edward Rogers, Dickinson "Preps," have gone to the
seashore for the summer, to earn some pennies and to take in the fresh
sea-breezes.
  Mrs. Riddle, wife of General Passenger Agent of the Cumberland Valley
R.R. and Mrs. Senseney of Chambersburg, were Sunday guests of Miss
Senseney.
  Miss Bowersox gave an evening to her King's Daughters, Wednesday
night, the pr9och and lawn in front being the reception room, and
strawberries the principal refreshment.
  The rival companies at our school in athletics are A and D.  In a game
of ball played between these two companies on Saturday evening Company D
won by a score of 10 to 1.

  The one hundred and sixteenth baccalaureate sermon of Dickinson
College, by Dr. George Edward Reed, President of the College, was
attended by most of our faculty.
  The King's Sons with Miss Nellie Robertson as hostess were the guests
of honor on her balcony on Wednesday evening, and strawberries were
buried out of sight.
  A class of little Indian boys was asked to make a small problem in
Arithmetic and this is the way one of their questions read: A boy had
four cents he lost how many boys 3 cents he left?
  The shop instructors and a few others were invited in to dip
strawberries with the printers on Saturday afternoon in honor of the
departure of Mr. St. Cyr.  Full dress consisted of work-aprons and
shirt-sleeves.
  Mr. St. Cyr, Chief of the Printing Office Mailing Department, left on
Tuesday evening for his home in Winnebago, Nebraska, where he will spend
thirty days' leave, rusticating among friends and old associates.
  Governor and Mrs. Stone, of Harrisburg, visited us on Wednesday.  The
Governor of Pennsylvania gave and inspiring little talk on the progress
of civilization, to the student body assembled at supper.  Judge and
Mrs. Biddle, of Carlisle, accompanied the distinguished guests.
  On Saturday evening last the small boys had a treat of strawberries -
a box for each room of three occupants.  They were delighted to be able
to dip them into pulverized sugar in so-called fashionable form.  Some
of the smallest boys returned the boxes to Mrs. Given with notes of
thanks.
  Miss Alice Paull Ray, of St. Paul, Minnesota, was a guest of her aunt
- Miss Paull of the Academic Department.  Miss Ray thinks that Carlisle
is a pretty nice place, and was deeply interested in all that she saw.
In her short stay at the school she formed many friends who wish that
she may soon come again.
  That sharp lightning on Wednesday struck the trolley wire, and running
into the laundry burned out two fuses.  It made considerable snapping
around the printing office motor, but did no damage.  The trolley was
standing by the laundry at the time and it did not take the passengers
long to get out of the car and into the laundry.
  Rev. Dr. Lippincott, of the Methodist Hospital, Philadelphia, was a
guest of Major Pratt, for a day or two.  The Doctor came to attend some
of the exercises connected with Dickinson College Commencement.  It will
be remembered that he was a Professor of the College for a number of
years, during which time he served the school very acceptably as
chaplain.
  A personally conducted tour, the party consisting of Mrs. Mary
Atkinson, and Miss Sallie Atkinson, of Doylestown, and Mrs. Warner
Thompson of Penna Park, Bucks County, arrived as guests of miss Ely on
Saturday evening last, with Mrs. Thompson as conductor.  The latter is a
niece of Miss Ely and the others mentioned are cousins.  They departed
on Tuesday having had a good time, they claimed, and taking with them
the regrets of many old and newly formed acquaintances that they could
not remain longer.
(page 4)
   IS IT TRUE?
    --------
  A writer of a private letter says:
  "My chief reason for disliking institution life is that almost always
one finds there the petty gossiper and mischief-maker."
  The Man-on-the-band-stand would like the writer to point out ANY small
community of people where these two obnoxious characters are not found.
  He does not like institution life either, but for other reasons.
  If by institution life the writer of our letter speaks from the puils'
standpoint in an institution where young boys and girls are taken and
kept within certain bounds for a series of years, then we are with her,
in that institution life is not desirable.
  Young people need the influence of home life.
  The Carlisle boys and girls get this influence through our Outing.
  They gain, in their duties in the country homes, if the homes are the
right kind (and the greatest care is taken to place our puils in good
homes) the experience which builds up independence of character, and
which cannot be taught in an institution.
  But the writer of the letter referred to above, evidently means
institution life for the employee, and she goes on to say:
  "How can any one descend to the smallness of watching others to see if
one has more privileges than another, and to talk of such things when
there are so much better things worth thinking of?"
  This is a good point for all institution workers to consider.
  We at Carlisle are fortunate in being located in a college town of
exceptional educational privileges and incentives, but persons who
having such advantages, READ not and STUDY not outside of their routine
work; if they are interested only as far as their own small department
is concerned, and care not for self-improvement, they are apt to find
time to talk more than they should about other peoples' affairs, and say
unkind things, sitting with idle hands and worse than idle brains in
judgment upon the conduct of others; and they are the ones to take to
themselves the question of our correspondent:
  "How can they descend, etc."
  But isn't it strange?  It is not I who would do such things; it is not
you.
  The most indolent person in the world sees indolence only in others.
  The greatest talker does not think he talks, but only hears others.

 CURE FOR TALE BEARING.
     -------------
  Miss Hannah More, a celebrated writer who died more than sixty years
ago, had a good way of managing tale-bearers.  It is said that whenever
she was told anything derogatory of another her invariable reply was,
"Come, we will go and ask if it be true."  The effect was sometimes
ludicrously painful.  The tale-bearer was taken aback, stammered out a
qualification, or begged that no notice be taken of the statement.  But
the good lady was inexorable; off she took the scandalmonger to the
scandalized to make inquiry and compare accounts.  It is not likely that
anybody ever a second time ventured to repeat a gossip story to Hannah
More.  One would think her method of treatment would be a sure cure for
scandal.

 NOT AN INDIAN - NOT A WHITE MAN, BUT A MAN.
               -----------
  The good news comes from the Fort Belknap, Indian School, Montana,
telling of the marriage of two of our graduates Mr. Benjamin Caswell,
'92, to Miss Leila Cornelius, '96.
  Superintendent Frank Terry, writes thus to Major Pratt, of the happy
event:
  "I take pleasure in informing you, and through you the school, friends
and former classmates of Mr. Benjamin Caswell and Miss Leila Cornelius,
that these young people were married here yesterday. (May 29th.)
  Mr. Caswell, whom you will remember, is a Minnesota Chippewa, came to
this school as teacher in September, 1895; and Miss Cornelius, a
Wisconsin Oneida, came also as teacher, November, 1897.
  Mr. and Mrs. Caswell are deservedly popular here.  The wedding
ceremony took place at the little town of Chinook, and on their return
the entire school turned out to meet them at the ferry crossing, Milk
River, and they were otherwise made to feel that the affections and best
wishes of every one were with them.  Their quarters at this school are
fitted up in a most tasteful manner.
  I regard Mr. and Mrs. Caswell as among the most efficient and
agreeable employees I have met in the Indian Service.
  They are not Indians, you know, or are they whites.
  Mr. Caswell is a MAN among MEN, and Mrs. Caswell is a woman among
women.
  The quetion of race has been entirely eliminated."
 Transcribed every week from the Carlisle Indian School newspaper
collection of the Cumberland County Historical Society by Barbara
Landis, Carlisle Indian School Research - http://www.epix.net/~landis.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html