And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Protestors to appear in court
http://www.journalstar.com/stories/neb/sto3
BY FRED KNAPP
Lincoln Journal Star

Nine people arrested during a July 3 march on Whiteclay are to appear in
Sheridan County Court today, but an American Indian leader said they will
request a 30-day delay in the proceedings.

Sheridan County Attorney Dennis King filed complaints against the nine
Monday, charging each on two counts.

One count, failure to comply with a lawful order, is a Class III
misdemeanor punishable by up to three months in prison and a $500 fine. The
other, obstructing justice or obstructing a police officer, is a Class I
misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in prison and a $1,000 fine.

Frank LaMere, a Winnebago Indian from South Sioux City who was among those
arrested, questioned why authorities added the obstruction charges to the
original citations for failure to comply.

"All Sheridan County did today was to escalate the situation and to send a
message to all who speak out and who want a better way that you will be
prosecuted if you upset the status quo at Whiteclay." King said he would
not comment on LaMere's statements. "We file our charges based upon facts
and expect the law to apply," he said.

The nine were arrested after breaking through a yellow plastic streamer
marking a police line during a march from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
to Whiteclay to protest alcohol sales and the unsolved murders of two
Lakota men.

Those arrested were LaMere; American Indian Movement leader Russell Means,
former Oglala Sioux Tribal President John Yellow Bird Steele, rally
organizer Tom Poor Bear, Webster Poor Bear, Vaughn Lodge, Benedict Black
Elk, Allen Sheppard and Gary Moore.

"We were arrested for exercising our constitutional rights, for marching on
a public street and for telling Nebraska that the murder and lawlessness
must stop," LaMere said.

"There was little difference between Montgomery, Ala., in the '60s and
Whiteclay, Neb., in the '90s when we marched on July 3. The country and the
world will see that when this illegal trial begins. I look forward to it."
LaMere said he and the others would request a 30-day continuance in the case.

Sheridan County Court Clerk Magistrate Julie Krotz said Monday afternoon
that no request for a continuance had yet been made. All nine defendants
could request a continuance shortly before today's scheduled 10 a.m.
appearance, she said.

The July 3 march occurred in the face of heavy law enforcement after a
Whiteclay store was looted and burned at a similar march that drew an
estimated 1,500 people the previous week. Peaceful marches with smaller
numbers participating have been held every subsequent weekend.
Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html