And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:11:35 -0600
From: Paul Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello,
Most of you probably know the good news, that the Mitigation Act was
repealed by HR 2605 in the House of Representatives yesterday.  A big
struggle lies ahead to insure that this step can be followed up in a way
that will make the crucial difference in conference committee between
the house and senate.

A copy of what John Thune (R, SD) had to say yesterday in the House and
letter from Governor Janklow that Thune asked be inserted into
Congressional Record follows:

ENERGY AND WATER DEVELOPMENT APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2000 (House of
Representatives - July 27, 1999)

Mr. THUNE. Mr. Chairman, I move to strike the last word.
(Mr. THUNE asked and was given permission to revise and extend his
remarks.)
Mr. THUNE. Mr. Chairman, I rise to speak to section 505 of the bill.

* Mr. Chairman, this provision would repeal Title VI, division C, of
Public Law 105-277, Making Omnibus Consolidated and Emergency
Supplemental Appropriations for Fiscal Year 1999. That provision, known
as the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, Lower Brule Sioux Tribe, and State of
South Dakota Terrestrial Wildlife Habitat Restoration Act, would
transfer lands along the Missouri River in South Dakota from the U.S.
Army Corps of Engineers to the tribes mentioned above as well as the
State of South Dakota. The Act also would establish a fund to pay for
wildlife habitats.
* The Act is a major priority for South Dakota Governor William Janklow
.
The Governor has requested I submit a letter on this topic for the
Record. I would like that letter from the Governor inserted at the
conclusion of my statement.
* The Act also has been the subject of much discussion for South
Dakotans, and I have taken great interest in all comments on this issue.
While I am aware of the concerns of some of my constituents over issues
surrounding this Act, I share in the sentiments of many who support the
objectives the Governor attempts to forward in this law.  Because of the
interest in this issue, I would like to see Section 505 stricken from
the bill and hope the Act receives a full review and consideration in a
conference committee between the House and Senate on this bill.
* Mr. Chairman, I include a letter from the Governor in reference to
this matter.

STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA,
* William J. Janklow , Governor,

Pierre, SD, July 27, 1999.
* Hon. John Thune,

U.S. House of Representatives,
Washington, DC.

* Dear Congressman Thune: I am writing to reaffirm my adamant support
for Title VI, division C, of Public Law 105-277 (Cheyenne River Sioux
Tribe, Lower Brule Sioux Tribe, and State of South Dakota Terrestrial
Wildlife Habitat Restoration). As you know, the House version of the
Energy and Water Development Appropriation repeals it. I hope you will
do everything you can to remove the repeal language from the bill and
appropriate $3 million for the project.
* Please explain to your fellow members of Congress that if the new law
is allowed to remain a law, it will reduce future federal tax dollar
spending, provide more access for people to use the Missouri River for
recreation and give both the state and the participating tribal
governments the opportunity to receive benefits we didn't receive when
four of the five Missouri River dams were built in South Dakota.
* As you know, over 600,000 acres of South Dakota's best river bottom
and river adjacent land were taken in the 1950s to create the huge
reservoirs of water behind the four Missouri River dams in South Dakota.
The water held in these reservoirs has already prevented billions of
dollars worth of flood damage to Omaha, Kansas City, and many other
cities on the Missouri River and Mississippi River.
* Unfortunately, South Dakota is the only state in the Union which as
never been allowed to do even a modest amount of development along our
greatest river resource. That's been or history because the land
immediately adjacent to the Missouri River is owned by the federal
government and managed by the Corps of Engineers. We were promised
developmental benefits, such as irrigation. But, it didn't happen.
* Nebraska sacrificed no land for dams and reservoirs, but it has
received federally funded irrigation for over six million areas. North
Dakota has only one dam and reservoir, but it has

over 300,000 acres of federally funded irrigated land. South Dakota is
between those two states and has sacrificed excellent land for four dams
and four reservoirs. But, our people have received less than 20,000
acres in federally funded irrigation and very few other benefits from
our sacrifices to prevent downstream flooding.