And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

White supremacist gang worries Gilbert
Only gang in town, mayor says
http://www.azcentral.com/news/0729gangs.shtml
By Edythe Jensen The Arizona Republic July 29, 1999

Gilbert Mayor Cynthia Dunham says the number of gangs in the town, which once numbered
up to 20, is now down to "only one."

But the one, a White supremacist youth gang linked to beatings and intimidation of
minorities and Whites alike, has alarmed at least one Gilbert council member, who is
calling clergy and community leaders to action.

"These kids don't exist in a vacuum," Councilman Mike Evans said Wednesday. "We have
families which are fostering this kind of attitude, and I want them to know they're
not welcome in Gilbert."

Evans urged religious leaders to use their pulpit to speak out against intolerant
parishioners, and he said he wants schools and police to keep a watchful eye on
potential gang activity.

"No one part of this community can shoulder the responsibility for this problem, and
no segment of the community should be held accountable," Evans said.

His comments came in response to police reports that attributed several recent
incidents of unprovoked violence to members of a white supremacist gang called the
Devil Dogs-White Power. The problems were highlighted in an Arizona Republic story
earlier this month.

At Evans' recommendation, the council voted unanimously Tuesday to ask the town-funded
Citizens Action Network (CAN) to examine Gilbert gang activity and bring the issue
back to them for public discussion later this year.

Councilwoman Maggie Cathey, a founding member of CAN, said the organization and the
Gilbert Police Department have already stemmed the tide of gang activity and graffiti
with tough enforcement and after-school activity programs.

"We knew we had this problem, and we're dealing with it," Cathey said. "I think we
have been very successful, considering how fast Gilbert has grown."

Gilbert police Detective Terry Burchett said earlier that the White supremacist gang
originated among Highland High School athletes seven years ago.

Devil Dogs-White Power members have been tied to several violent incidents. The
biggest altercation occurred outside a Taco Bell in March when gang members yelled,
"Hey, homo" at two young men. When one of the men asked whether they were talking to
him, gang members jumped him, kicked him in the face, head and back and put him in
choke holds. The victim was White.

Eight gang members -- two adults and six juveniles -- were arrested. The two adults
have been indicted on criminal charges, including aggravated assault and participation
in a criminal syndicate. The juveniles have been charged in Juvenile Court.<<end
excerpt