And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 13:36:23 -0700
From: Storm Reyes

Associated Press article: Printed August 4, 1999, The News Tribune
(Tacoma, WA),
  page B2:

  No Negative Impact in Tourism Seen After Makah Whale Hunt:

     When the Makah Indians killed their first whale in more than 70 years in May,
opponents of tribal whaling predicted the historic harpoon throw also would kill
tourism on the North Olympic Peninsula.

   But it didn't turn out that way. If anything, tourist business seems to have perked
up a bit, hotel and marina owners say.

"I've noticed no drop," said Gordy Bentler, owner of the Cape Motel in Neah Bay, home
to the Makah. "In fact, I think we're probably up this year over last."

     Bentler said most visitors are curious, not furious, about the Makah's return to
whaling. Rick Hert, executive director of the North Olympic Peninsula Visitor and
Convention Bureau, said room-tax figures from Clallam County hotels and

motels appear relatively flat this summer.

   However, he added, "Talking about tourism as a whole and talking about revenue, we
have not seen a negative impact at this point."

  Undetered, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, one of the most dedicated
anti-whaling activist groups, sent a release to news organizations this week saying
the hunt "triggered a long, disastrous summer for local tourism-dependent towns."

Specifically, the group said, the typical 200 boats at the Makah mariana in Neah Bay
for the salmon fishing season have dwindled to only 75. That's news to mariana manager
Bob Buckingham, who says business is great. "We haven't seen any sign of that
affecting us out here," he said. "Our actual marina revenue is up from last year so
far. We're getting quite a bit of tourism up here."