[NOTE: Some addresses have been blind copied]

From: "CATHERINE DAVIDS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Today I have sent the following letter to various state Senators and House of Representative members and two state agencies created specifically to serve the American Indian and Latino populations of Michigan.

Catherine R. Davids, Michigan Representative
National Coalition on Racism in Sports and Media
954 N. Chevrolet Avenue
Flint, Michigan  48504

September 3, 1999

To:     Senators John Cherry, Robert Emerson, and Jackie Vaughn
        Representatives Valde Garcia, Belda Garza, Lynne Martinez, and                  Vera Rison
        Donna Budnick,
Executive Director/Michigan Commission on Indian
                Affairs (MCIA)
        Marylou Olivarez Mason, Executive Director/Michigan Commission on
                Spanish Speaking Affairs (MCSSA)

On Friday, August 20, 1999 Governor John Engler gave the Michigan Commission on Indian Affairs (MCIA) 60-days to “pack up and move out.”  Engler’ spokesperson, John Truscott states: it’s difficult for them to be prompt...we hope this will produce better coordination and faster implementation…we’re elevating ability of Indians in Michigan to be heard…they can go directly to a cabinet member instead of a commission that meets once in awhile and has no real authority…the state’s tribes want to deal directly with state government.”

The history of the MCIA is extremely important.  Governor Romney organized the commission in response to documented abuses of Michigan’s American Indian population.  The intent and impact of the commission has always been to provide a voice to both reservation and urban Indian people.  Indians without tribal affiliation are not represented by any tribal governments or councils.  The majority of Michigan’s Indian population reside in urban areas and yet Engler slaps- us-in-the-face with his “state tribes want to deal directly with state government” remark as if the rest of us are not even here.  This is a biased and ignorant understanding of who we are, our needs, and what we expect as taxpayers.  This is also his cheap attempt to cause harsh feelings among our groups.  He would have us be angry with each other because then he can wreck further havoc.  There are approximately 30 urban Indian associations in Michigan, and we work in collaboration with tribal centers on a variety of issuses and concerns.  There are approximately 200 different tribes represented in just the Detroit area alone.  When we attend, meetings, etc., we introduce ourselves by announcing our names and tribes.  At a recent meeting here in Flint there were Mohawk, Iroquois, Dine, Cherokee, Potawatomi, Odawa, Ojibwae, Seminole, Apache, Shawnee, Eastern Cherokee, Mississippi Choctaw, Taos Pueblo, Oneida, Maya, Mexicha, Blackfoot, Cheyenne, Kiowa, and Hawai’i.

American Indian’s have the fastest growing youth population within the United States: 40% of our population is under the age of 20.  In the next five years the Latino/a population within the United States is expected to be the largest minority population.  The majority of Michigan’s Latino/a people are Mexican and they fully understand and appreciate their indigenous heritage.  We are relatives.

The MCIA has been a vital bridge between urban groups, tribal councils, and reservation offices.  The MCIA provides information about health, education, welfare, pending legislation, deaths of elders and tribal officials, elections, Great Lakes Pow-Wow schedules, etc.  The MCIA takes their “show on the road” meeting in urban centers and in reservations offices creating a forum so that Indian people have the opportunity to discuss concerns and issues.  The MCIA provides updates about political, social, and cultural matters.  The MCIA newsmagazine provides the most comprehensive listing of Michigan’s Indian offices, organizations, Title IX programs, college and university multicultural offices, American Indian Student Organizations, etc., and it also publishes short stories and poetry by talented Indian authors.  The MCIA is “by Indians for Indians.”  It is a unique and specific agency based largely in American Indian tradition and culture.  The MCIA treats urban and reservation Indians with equal amounts of respect and regard.  It is the one office we can call, get understanding, guidance, and response.  The MCIA is making inroads working with other organizations…for example the MCIA and Flint’s Spanish Speaking Information Center share expertise and information about diabetes because of the high rate of diabetes among both our peoples.  The MCIA is cognizant of success through working with other agencies like Michigan’s Commission on Spanish Speaking Affairs (MCSSA).  If Engler is successful in dismantling the MCIA how long will it be before he dismantles the MCSSA?

Based on the rampaging genocide committed by the United States government, the historical theft of our lands, natural resources, grave sites, and the attempted disintegration of our family structures, and laws that outlawed our traditional languages and practices, the MCIA is understood to be a state office that is a matter of justice. Engler would have us compete with everyone in the State for attention from the other offices.  This will deprive us of an office created specifically to meet our needs so that we would not have to deal with all of these other offices and be ignored and abused.  It is an insult to our intelligence and its foundation is fairly clear.  For Governor Engler to remove “the voice” of Michigan’s American Indian population is a disaster.  We realize that Governor Engler’s “indian agent” mentality has created many problems for Indians in Michigan and many of us absolutely believe that destroying the MCIA is an act of war against Michigan’s Indians…to divide and separate us from each other.  Only Engler can fully state his true reasons which we all know have little to do with Truscott’s blatherings.

I know many Indians on the reservations and in urban areas and I have never heard any of them elect Engler as their spokesperson nor have I ever heard any of them state they want the MCIA to be disbanded.  Engler is not elevating anything to improve our communication abilities…for us to be heard…because this action destroys our communication abilities.  There is not one bureaucratic office in any state or federal agency that operates in a “prompt and faster implementation” mode, therefore, Engler’s suggested argument that eliminating the MCIA will fix these problems is ludicrous.  If the MCIA has no real authority as Engler claims then it is because his office has systematically removed that authority by encouraging this state’s government and its agencies to be non-responsive entities to the MCIA and Michigan’s Indian people.

I implore each of you to act on behalf of Michigan’s Indian people (regardless of where they live) and protect our interests by keeping the MCIA open.  I implore each of you to act to reorganize the system of appointing commissioners to the MCIA so that it becomes fully representative for Michigan’s Indian people.  This is an opportunity for each of you to be in the position of advocate on behalf of us because we have no American Indian people in the Senate or the House and we desperately need your support.  I also ask that you consider protecting the MCSSA that serves Michigan’s Latino/a population.  You can bring these issues to other Senators and Representatives and do something good by creating education, appreciation and awareness about the MCIA and MCSSA.