And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

tabacco  (none) sent
you the following article from the News & Observer
on the Web (http://www.news-observer.com).

This article is protected by copyright and should
not be printed or distributed for anything except
personal use.

Comments from none:

contact him:  Larence Shorty, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[4/17/99] Old culture's new look at tobacco
By YONAT SHIMRON, Staff Writer
http://www.news-observer.com/daily/1999/04/17/nc00.html

HOLLISTER --  A group of American Indians eager to promote healthful
habits planted a field Friday morning with a seed they say is sacred
to their people: tobacco.

This, however, was not the tobacco cultivated for Marlboros or Camels.
It was "nat'oh," the sacred leaf Native Americans once smoked during
prayer and healing rituals.

The early morning planting ceremony in Warren County was part of an
effort to reacquaint American Indians with lost traditions. Organizers
also hope that if American Indians understand tobacco's place in their
culture, it will discourage habitual smoking.

Nearly 40 percent of American Indians smoke, according to the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention, more than any other ethnic group.
By reclaiming tobacco as a sacred leaf smoked only during religious
ceremonies, some American Indians hope to cut the use of commercial
tobacco.

"The old Indians didn't use tobacco every day," said Jesse Richardson,
the vice chief of the Haliwa-Saponi, who donated a quarter acre of
his land for Friday's planting ceremony. "You get addicted to anything
you use every day. It can wreck your health."

During the ceremony, tribal members offered a prayer, rubbed their
foreheads and tongues with corn pollen and smoked a special species
of tobacco wrapped in corn husks. They then set out to scatter tobacco
seeds across the field. Moving in a line, they crossed the field four
times to correspond with the four cardinal points of the compass.

Half a dozen public health officers, excited by the initiative, looked
on.

"We've taken a more traditional approach to educating people about
the consequences of smoking," said Tim McGloin, a research associate
with the Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention at the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. "Culturally appropriate
strategies are also needed. We want to diversify our work and reach
more communities."

The planting ceremony is the brainchild of Lawrence Shorty, a graduate
student in public health at the University of New Mexico. Shorty said
he got interested in Native American smoking habits after his Navajo
grandfather asked him to bring back some North Carolina tobacco leaves
cured by his African-American grandparents in Person County.

Each year, after summering in North Carolina, Shorty would pack a bag
of leaves to take to Albuquerque, where Dooley Shorty would smoke them
whenever he prayed for his family.

"Native Americans have a saying: We learn not from books but by example,"
said Shorty, who flew to the Triangle for the weekend. "If elders can
show young people how to use tobacco as a sacred leaf, that will change
people's perspective of it."

Last year, Shorty met Greg Richardson, executive director of the state
Commission of Indian Affairs, and told him what he was doing in New
Mexico. The two then decided to hold a similar ceremony on Richardson's
father's land in Warren County.

"We hope this will take off -- tribe by tribe, region by region --
and that Indians will talk to elders about the history of how tobacco
is used," Richardson said.

There are 80,155 American Indians in North Carolina, more than in any
other state east of the Mississippi River. They are organized in six
tribes: Lumbee, Coharie, Waccamaw-Siouan, Haliwa-Saponi, Meherrin and
Eastern Band of Cherokee.

Bernard Richardson of Hollister said American Indians are finding ways
to incorporate their traditions with their Christian faith.

"It takes us back to the biblical days when the Israelites offered
sacrifices by sending up smoke to God," he said. "Everywhere they went,
they worshiped God in their own way. We also worship God through our
traditions."

Yonat Shimron can be reached at 829-4891 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]