And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[NOTE: several addresses are blind copied]

From: "CATHERINE DAVIDS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:31:54 EDT
Subject: (Fwd) (Fwd) Re: Michigan Commission on Indian Affairs

*************************
The following report has been written by Ishgooda and Catherine
Davids who both attended last night's meeting at the North American
Indian Association.  If you send letters of protest via e-mail please back
your "voice" up by sending through regular postal mail.

Last night (Thursday, September 2, 1999) a meeting was held at the
North American Indian Association (NAIA) building in Detroit.  The
meeting was held to discuss Governor Engler's recent edict to close the
Michigan Commission on Indian Affairs.  The "guv" intends to transfer
all aspects of the MCIA to other departments within the Department of
Civil Rights.  About 50 people attended the meeting.  Aurora Sauceda,
Cheryl Spaniola and Catherine Davids drove down from Flint (please
note: never go near Detroit in the late afternoon or early evening).  We
met up with Ishgooda and other community activists.  We thought it
was going to be a rally.  Instead it turned out to be a meeting.  It was
very interesting.

The first speaker was a woman elder (one of the founders of the
NAIA).  She was eloquent with solid questions about the closing and
the transfer.  She mentioned several questions which needed to be
addressed, such as how does the budget for the Civil Rights Department
compare to the current budget for the Indian commission? Are federal
funds going to be coming down?  What current jurisdictional powers
will be hampered by the transfer to civil rights as the commission as it
has been addresses both reservation and urban Indians in the state and
has been a voice for both....How will current agencies and programs
under the Indian commission be effected ?  Accessibility less for rural
locations?  The current  commission employs a number of Native
people, how will these jobs be effected?  Will there once again be well
meaning non Natives implementing Native agencies and programs?  In
the past there was a lot of serious illness on the Isabella Reservation
near Mt Pleasant..a state investigation revealed almost total neglect by
the state then current program structures and was one of the reasons for
the creation of the commission under then Gov Romney...we face this
same potential for criminal neglect once again?  Ultimately her greatest
concern is the dismantling of the communication network that the
MCIA has created.  The next speaker was a male elder and from the
information we knew that he has always been an activist for Indian
Country.  After these two speakers it was kind of quiet with everyone
trying to figure if they could add anything to what these two elders had
stated and questioned.  Rick Schott (President of the NAIA) had quite a
time getting everyone else out of their chairs to speak but finally he
asked a question and I raised my hand.  This was his trick to get
someone else to the microphone.  Catherine got up and stated her
thoughts about the importance of the MCIA, that the "guv's" closing of
the office was an act of war (destroying communication networks), that
the "guv" is always angry with us Indians and finding ways to cause us
harm, that if the MCIA closes what will he do to us next, etc.
Catherine also shared information about State Representative Lynn
Martinez's office giving support and lobbying on behalf of the MCIA
(she forgot to mention that the State's Democratic House of
Representatives Caucus is also gathering information for possible
support).  Then lots of other people got up to speak.  One man got up
and deflected the purpose of the meeting to the upcoming 2000 Census
and the importance of getting counted in order to ensure equitable
distribution of federal funds. [Thurmon Bear pointed out that it takes
numbers to create political clout.  To be heard we need to show
numbers..if you are self identified as Native, mark it.  He mentioned a
federal housing program slated for the Potawatomi in Michigan's Upper
Peninsula (a few years ago) received funding for only 41 homes,
(although the tribe has 450 members who qualified for the housing
assistance) because the 1990 census only showed that there were a max
of 45 who could be included.] This man is absolutely correct but this
discussion distracted from the concerns about the MCIA.  This man did
say that us Indians should take care of ourselves and not depend upon
the MCIA whose closing is a "done deal."  He stated that he has known
about this for about two months even though the information was just
publicly released only within the past two weeks. Then another man
got up and stated that us Indians need to put aside our differences, learn
to work together, "can't we all just get along," and that the closing of the
MCIA is a "done deal and we'd better just get over it, and figure out
how to take care of ourselves."  A representative from the American
Civil Liberties Union was present and said his plan is to file a class-
action lawsuit on behalf of the MCIA.  This is an historic action
because the ACLU has traditionally seemed uninterested in American
Indian issues and concerns.  Levi Rickert (North American Indian
Center of Grand Rapids) gave good support for the MCIA as did Rick
Schott.  Paul Vargas (a member of the Brown Beret) came to offer
support from his group.  He is a knowledgeable and mesmerizing speaker.
The late middle- aged men in the room sat up and remembered when
they were all "on fire" with passionate causes in the 1960s and 1970s.
It was easy to see the pride they felt for this young Chicano man.  Eva
Menefee was thoughtful, insightful, and ready to march.  As she so
eloquently stated "I was pissed off in the 60s and I'm still pissed off."
We clapped, cheered, and stomped our feet to give her thanks for her
righteous frustration.  It is interesting to note that the male elders and all
of the women were ready to take action while the late middle-aged
(between 45-55) men were sort of complacent with a "que sera sera,
what will be will be" attitude.  It was disturbing.  We had quite a
discussion on the way home about why this is but we couldn't figure it
out.  The group determined to have more meetings to discuss this matter
but there isn't really time for too many more meetings because this is a
"60 day and out" deal for the MCIA [dated from Aug 20] so it is of
immediate concern.

While more physical forms of action are being planned (a protest rally in
Lansing) the most "impact" form of protest is letter writing.  Please
write a letter of support and mail copies to the offices listed below. The
total cost of mailing 13 letters is $4.29 and per person that is a small
price to pay to save the Michigan Commission on Indian Affairs office.

Donna Budnick, Executive Director
Michigan Commission on Indian Affairs
Victor Office Center,  Suite 700
201 N. Washington Square
Lansing, Michigan  48913
FAX: 1-517-334-8641

Marylou Olivarez Mason
Michigan Commission on Spanish Speaking Affairs
741 North Cedar Street, Suite 102
Lansing, Michigan  48913
FAX: 1-517-334-8641

The following state Senators & Representatives are those, through their
humanatarian causes, who will be receptive to letters and who will
probably give support to the MCIA and to the MCSSA (which will be
next on Engler's hit list).

Senator John Cherry (D)
Democratic House Caucus Leader
P. O.  Box 30036
Lansing, MI  48909-7536
FAX: 1-517-373-1453

Senator Robert Emerson (D)
P. O. Box 30036
Lansing, MI  48909-7536
FAX: 1-517-373-3938

Senator Jackie Vaughn III (D)
P. O. Box 30036
Lansing, MI  48909-7536
FAX: 1-517-373-5227

Representative Lynne Martinez (D)
P. O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI  48909-7514
FAX: 1-517-373-5698

Representative Vera Rison (D)
P. O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI  48909-7514
1-888-547-4766

Representative Belda Garza (D)
P. O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI  48909-7514

Representative Valde Garcia (R)
P. O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI  48909-7514
FAX: 1-517-373-5780

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR:

Lansing State Journal
Letters to the Editor
120 E. Lenawee Street
Lansing, MI  48919

Detroit Free Press
Letters to the Editor
600 W. Fort Street
Detroit, MI  48226

Detroit News
Letters to the Editor
615 W. Lafayette
Detroit, MI  48226

Saulte Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians
Tribal Newspaper "Letters to the Editor"
523 Ashmun Street
Sault Ste. Marie, MI  49783

Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe
Tribal Observer "Letters to the Editor"
7070 E. Broadway
Mt. Pleasant, MI  48858

"Saginaw Tribal Office"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Traverse Band"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Pokagon Band; Att: Bob Moody"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Saginaw Inter.Council; Att: Victoria
MIller"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

MICHIGAN MEDIA:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]