And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

1999 Annual Meeting of the Great Lakes Commission,
  Sept. 13-15

  Strength in numbers: Interstate
  organizations unite to raise profile,
  influence

  For immediate release
  August 6, 1999

  Contact: Dr. Michael J. Donahue
  Phone: 734-665-9135
  Fax: 734-665-4370
  E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Ann Arbor, Mich. – State, provincial and federal Great Lakes officials will
  be joined by their counterparts from other regions of North America at the
  1999 Annual Meeting of the Great Lakes Commission. Set for Sept. 13-15
  at the Sheraton Hotel Station Square in Pittsburgh, Penn., the event is titled
  Celebrating Interstate and International Cooperation in Water Resources
  Management. Co-sponsored by the Interstate Council on Water Policy
  (ICWP) and a dozen other interstate organizations, the meeting will feature
  the signing of a partnership agreement among all organizations present.

  “For too long, interstate organizations have merely coexisted and, on
  occasion, have even competed with one another for federal funds, profile
  and policy influence,” states Irene Brooks, chair of the Great Lakes
  Commission and executive director of Pennsylvania’s Office for River
  Basin Cooperation. “We all share common concerns about our water
  resources, however, and by working together, we can advance our
  individual and collective interests.”

  The three-day meeting, expected to draw more than 150 officials from the
  U.S. and Canada, features a Sept. 13 opening reception, a Great Lakes
  Commission business session on the morning of Sept. 14, and special
  sessions with ICWP through Sept. 15. Topics include major U.S. federal
  legislative and program initiatives, case studies in U.S./Canada/Mexico
  cooperation, and strategies for developing a North American coalition of
  multijurisdictional river basin organizations.

  Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, also chair of the Council of Great Lakes
  Governors, is among two dozen noted speakers at the event.

  The meeting is open to the public, with advance registration required (see
  registration form). Please complete and return the attached form by the
  specified date. For further details, contact the Great Lakes Commission,
  Argus II Bldg., 400 Fourth St., Ann Arbor, MI 48103-4816, phone
  734-665-9135, fax 734-665-4370, e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] Registration
  information also can be found on the Commission's web site:
  http://www.glc.org. Registration fees will be waived for those with media
  credentials, but everyone must register in advance or on-site.

  The Great Lakes Commission is a nonpartisan, interstate compact agency
  created by state and federal law and dedicated to promoting a clean
  environment, strong economy, and high quality of life for the Great
  Lakes-St. Lawrence region and its residents. The Commission consists of
  state legislators, agency officials and governors' appointees from its eight
  member states. The Commission has a new Associate Member program
  for Canadian provinces and also maintains a formal Observer program
  involving U.S. and Canadian federal agencies, tribal authorities, binational
  agencies and other regional interests. The Commission offices are located
  in Ann Arbor, Michigan; its home page is http://www.glc.org.