And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 21:55:12 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Peter Newman addresses Anishinabek student gathering Sudbury

City & Region ‘Make trouble,’ author advises

                  By Rob O’Flanagan/THE SUDBURY STAR  9/08/99

They weren’t carved in stone or delivered by burning bush light from a
mountain top. In fact, Peter C. Newman delivered his “10 commandments” of
political action over a muffled public address system, to a less than
attentive audience Tuesday in the Community Centre of the Whitefish First
Nation in Walden. However, his first words of advice, “make trouble,” got
the crowd’s attention.                  The best-selling author of such
books as The Canadian Establishment and Company of Adventurers, Newman was
a keynote speaker at the Anishinabek Nation’s Gathering Strength
conference.  At 70 years of age, the prolific writer, who will soon
contribute a column for
the National Post, insisted that the only way to get anything done within
the bureaucratic maze of Canadian politics is by acting up -- making
yourself seen and heard, relentlessly.  “If you don’t defy authority, you
won’t get anywhere,” he said to a conference                 gathering of
approximately 150 people. “This society pays attention to troublemakers.”

Although First Nations people (Newman used the term “Indians” throughout
his address because of its significance in Canadian history) were the
victims of cultural genocide and treated as “quaint barbarians” until quite
recently, they have gained more political power in recent years than any
other group, Newman argued.
To gain more power, he said, they must follow a unified strategy that keeps
their issues in the public eye.

Among Newman’s commandments were an admonishment to master the Internet and
use it as a political weapon; to make the most important demands at the
most crucial moments -- preferably at
election time; and to fully appreciate the power of education.
His characteristic distrust of politicians came through when he advised the
  gathering to “seek cash, not words” from leaders. “Pay no attention to
statements of reconciliation that don’t have price tags attached to them,”
he said. “Words are cheap.”

Newman, former editor-in-chief of Maclean’s Magazine and the author of 20
books on Canadian history and business, began his address by saying that
his comments might be controversial, but that he “cannot be scalped for
them.”  He then removed his trademark cap, revealing his bald head.  He
also told the gathering that native people must settle on one name that
defines them as a single, political entity and stick to it. “Go with one
name,” he said. “You belong to the Union of Ontario Indians and celebrate
National Aboriginal Day.
Yet, I was told to address you as the First Nations. Us white guys find
that confusing.”

Currently working on a history of Canadian business, and his autobiography,
Newman said in an interview that he is still a workaholic at 70. “And like
all  workaholics, I say that what I do is not work. I do it because I love
it.” The homogenizing forces of globalism are steamrolling over the ideals
of cultural diversity, he said. But cultural diversity is still possible.
“It’s going to get harder and harder to defend Canada as a cultural entity,
and
to maintain cultural diversity. Because globalism is such a strong,
homogenizing force. That is why I’m saying that making trouble is the only
way to get things  done.”

Vernon Roote, Grand Council Chief of the Union of Ontario Nations, predicts
that the political power of First Nations people will increase in the
coming years. “Right now, the top priority is for First Nations people to
educate themselves about the system so that we can have more jurisdiction
over our lives.” People like Newman, he added, know the system, and their
knowledge is valuable to native people. “They bring good advice, and add
clarity to our                 assemblies.” The Gathering Strength
conference runs until Thursday at the Whitefish First Nation.

David K. Foot, author of Boom, Bust and Echo, will address the conference
today.

Eddie Benton Banai, an Ojibwa from Wisconsin and a fourth degree Midewewin
Lodge member, will speak at the conference on Thursday.

               "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
                A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                     1957 G.H. Estabrooks
                 www.angelfire.com/mn/mcap/bc.html