And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:53:59 -0600 (MDT)
From: joseph c winter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Please let your readers know that I appreciate very much the many messages
of encouragement that I have received concerning the forced shutdown of
The Traditional Native American Tobacco Seed Bank and Education Program
(TNAT) by the University of New Mexico. I wish that I could answer all of
the messages but I can't, so I am writing this message to all of them
instead. I am also forwarding them on to university administration.

I also wish that I had
good news to report but unfortunately that is not so. I will let you know
in a few days what is happening. In the meantime, I want to emphasize that
I am in this for the long haul, and will challenge it through the courts
if necessary, all the way to the Supreme Court. The bottom line is that I
am being told that I do not have the right to grow ceremonial tobacco and
to give it to Native Americans for religious purposes, even on my own
time, without a federal permit. This is an
extremely serious threat to Native American religious rights, as well as
constitutional rights, and I will fight it as long as necessary. If any of
the readers are lawyers specializing in this area and want to get
involved, please contact me as I may need all the help that I can get.

Thank you again. Joe Winter

Joseph C. Winter                                   Phone: 505-277-5853
(former)Director, Traditional Native American Tobacco      FAX:
505-277-6726
   Seed Bank and Education Program                  email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of New Mexico
1717 Lomas Blvd NE
Albuquerque, NM 87131 USA
   http://www.unm.edu/~jwinter/tnat.htm