And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

FROM:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
courtesy of Martha..thanks..:)
         Keep your pets healthy with products from the
           Green Marketplace's Healthy Pet Center:
                 http://www.greenmarketplace.com/

September 13, 1999
All stories on the web at: http://www.envirolink.org/environews/

Today's Featured Stories:

Oregon log harvest lowest in seven decades -- A slump in timber markets
and a continuing decline in logging on federal land drove Oregon timber
harvests down to their lowest level of the past seven decades in 1998.
(Associated Press)

Regulating Power Plants -- For years, Northeastern states have criticized
their Midwestern neighbors for the high levels of nitrous-oxide and
sulfur emissions from that region's power plants. The pollution is
believed to drift northward, causing smog and acid rain. This winter,
attorneys for the states and the Environmental Protection Agency will
meet in Federal court, to decide whether the EPA has authority to
regulate the power plants.   (Great Lakes Radio Consortium)

$120,000 robot investigates Hanford U plant, finds dust -- Officials at
the Hanford nuclear reservation have enlisted a robot to help them assess
what they must do to clean up some old chemical-processing plants.
(Associated Press)

Munroe Falls -- Vincent Duffy of member station WKSU in Ohio reports on
the efforts of the Environmental Protection Agency to remove a dam in the
town of Munroe Falls. The EPA is targeting many small dams across the
country in hopes of restoring the natural flow of rivers and to comply
with the clean air act.  (NPR)

Breeding Animals For Food Called Threat To The Planet -- The Center for a
Livable Future at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health today
announced a new project to study and evaluate the effects of breeding
large numbers of food animals in concentrated facilities.  (UniSci)

Cleaner watercraft reach the market -- The world's leading boat maker has
unveiled a new line of personal watercraft designed to be cleaner and
quieter -- features aimed at quelling increasing environmental concerns.
And it urged competitors to follow suit, "developing cleaner products
that reduce emissions." (MSNBC)

An All-Points Bulletin: Coast Must Be Cleared -- The recent closure of a
portion of Huntington Beach highlights the importance of coastal water
quality for Southern California's economy, quality of life, and
self-image. As the plume of bacterial pollution waxes and wanes, and
frustration over the complexity and intractability of the problem mounts,
it is time to consider the causes of coastal pollution and how we can
minimize its impact.  (L.A. Times)

All stories on the web at: http://www.envirolink.org/environews/

This edition of the EnviroLink News Service is sponosored by The Green
Marketplace (http://www.greenmarketplace.com).  If you would like
information on how your company or organization can become a sponsor,
please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The EnviroLink News Service       | E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Project of the EnviroLink Network | Web: http://www.envirolink.org/environews