And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Name-callers are more than poor sports
http://www.freep.com/voices/columnists/qpitts15.htm
September 15, 1999

BY LEONARD PITTS JR.

OUR subject for today: Braves, Indians, Chiefs ...and Redskins.

As you might know, football season is just getting under way. In Washington, they've
been awaiting it with more than a little anticipation. The town's beloved Redskins got
a new owner during the off-season and he has been making changes. He has changed the
practice facility, changed the name of the stadium and threatened to change coaches if
the team's miserable play continues.

But there's one thing Daniel Snyder says he won't change: the name.

In a recent interview with the Washington Post, Snyder explained that the term
Redskins "was taken actually as an honor," though he didn't say by whom. He also said
it was "never meant to be derogatory."

Which would doubtless come as a surprise to Native American people, who, generally
speaking, find the term nothing but derogatory. My dictionary backs them up.
"Offensive slang," it warns, "a disparaging term for a Native American."

I get the sense most sports fans wish they'd go away, that noisy band of Native
activists who have been crusading against not just the Redskins, but also Cleveland's
Indians, Atlanta's Braves and Kansas City's Chiefs. Sports fans, I think, wish they
could just enjoy the game without being pushed to ponder touchy questions of racial
insult.

But that's a luxury Native Americans are unlikely to allow them. Nor should they.

A time-honored idea

In fairness to the Redskins, it might be instructive to recall what the world was like
when the team took the name in 1933. Racial and ethnic branding was prominent in those
years. You could go to the store for a pipe cleaner called "Cannibal," whose logo was
a spear-wielding African with a bone in his hair. You might watch a basketball game
featuring the Buffalo Germans or the New York Hakoahs, an all-Jewish team whose name
was a Yiddish term meaning strength.

Native Americans were a particularly popular commercial icon -- they were used to sell
corn flakes, life insurance, motorcycles, butter, baking powder and a brand of tires
called "Savage."

Ethnic branding is hardly a thing of the past. Consider the Boston Celtics, the
Fighting Irish of Notre Dame and the Lucky Charms leprechaun. And, yes, you might
fairly wonder: If Americans of Irish descent are not up in arms about any of those,
why should Native people pitch a fit about sports teams?

The answer is simple: It's easier to laugh when you're in on the joke and Native
people are not. See, there's a crucial difference between the Irish and the Natives.
The one was assimilated, the other decimated.

A shameful practice

The mainstream has never welcomed Native people. Instead, it has given them lies, land
thievery and death. Those who survive it has chained to lives of poverty, alcoholism
and disease.

Is it any wonder, then, that seeing themselves held up -- or more accurately, reduced
-- to the status of commercial mascot stands for many Native Americans as one more
belittling insult?

I understand the emotional bond between fans and the team. I also understand that
doing the right thing is most important when it's most difficult. In this case, the
right thing could not be clearer:

Rename these teams.

That way, everyone can enjoy the game.

LEONARD PITTS JR. appears most Wednesdays and Fridays in the Free Press. You can call
him toll free at 800-457-3881, then select option 8. Or E-mail him at [EMAIL PROTECTED]