From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 14:44:49 EDT
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Check out Boston Herald .com Columnists -- Writers]

In a message dated 10/13/99 11:56:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Before you start press-bashing in general or New England >>
( sorry-- think I sent email before I intended- I apologize. )

Sure, press bashing was not (bashing in general is really
never) what you want to do. The press sometimes boils
out a lot of the complexity of indian issues, or takes a
particular side in a political debate, sometimes
it does not.

I would propose that whenever an article of this
type is published, that somewhere in the vicinity
a related issue is about to emerge into the wider
public view, and the author is moving to supply
a prophylactic dose of rhetoric that reinforces one
side. This is not press bashing, this is an examination
of the power of publishing editorials. In this case, the
issue is a native vs. mainstream one, so the flavoring
used in the rhetoric is a heaping tablespoon of Custerism.
To identify it as hate speech in the modern sense is wrong.
There _is_ an understandable and reasonable fear that
one's forebears will be portrayed too harshly, but I think
that's the lesser component of it.

To identify it as a continuum of Baum's editorials is right,
because the perception of indians in the mainstream is
completely adulterated with stereotypes.  Indians aren't
"shoe-in candidates" as targets for hate speech, because
a somewhat hateful image of indians is practically an
American institution!  Halloween, a white kid can show
up at the typical doorstep dressed up like an indian
with a tomahawk and warpaint and he's cute. A white
kid shows up on the same doorstep in black face and
he is a sicko. I'm not saying that's right, I'm saying
that's a fundamental difference.

The observation is that when this sort of editorial gets
printed in a more regional paper, somewhere nearby
are some indians that are about to start raising concerns
about their rights, or who are about to be dispossessed of
something. The question that came to me was "why is this
guy in Boston worried about a museum in DC?". Well, it
would seem that there are local fish to fry with the Pequots.

In the case of indians-as-stereotype, there is only a
recent dawning understanding in the mainstream that
the ingrained stereotyping of indians is offensive.
In short, the stereotype is close to what we are
taught by sanctioned authorities as being
the truth, if not identical.

The only way to counteract this is to cause the
sanctioned authorities to re-examine what they
are teaching.  The museum as described in the
article seems to be an attempt to do this, and
the neo-Custerite who is the author of the article
is pushing all the alarm buttons that will enflame
his fellows in the tradition of controversial editiorials
anywhere.  What I think is helpful to understand is
that PARTICULARLY in the history of US to native
relationships, that this sort of rhetoric has been
used as a tool to galvanize and advance economic
and political opposition to what indians want. Not
as "racial invective", but as honed propaganda that
is unleashed to encourage popular support for
dispossessing the indians of something that
incorporates "racial invective". So the dismantling
of this propaganda generation system strikes at
the underpinning of the neo-Custerites:
the tools for disassociating indians from everyone
else and stereotype propagation are being threatened.

Also, in the New England area, various popular myths are
held in high esteem. If the pilgrims weren't "better" than
the indians, a lot of stuff needs to be re-considered, hmm?
So, because it addresses an audience taught to regard
everyone after the Mayflower as an immigrant, the rhetoric
is quasi-supremacist, which touches a lot of nerves.

Don't get caught up in the emotion of it: this is an example
of the new wave of anti-indian rhetoric that echoes the tone
of the neo-Custerites-- it plays all their riffs.

Mike Mc