And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

US Democrats urge labels on genetically engineered foods

WASHINGTON, Nov 5 (Reuters) - Some 48 mostly Democratic members of Congress urged
federal regulators on Friday to require labels on U.S. foods made with bioengineered
ingredients, following the lead of the European Union.

The pressure from lawmakers comes at a time when the Food and Drug Administration has
launched an effort to find out if Americans want more information about
genetically-modified (GM) soybeans, corn and potatoes and other ingredients.

The FDA currently does not require labels, based on its scientists' view that GM crops
do not pose health or safety risks any different from traditional breeding techniques.

But faced with growing unease among American consumers, the agency will hold a series
of public meetings later this month to take a fresh look at its own policies.

Rep. David Bonior, the second-ranking Democrat in the House, said the FDA must ensure
that consumers get the "vital information" they need about bioengineered foods.

About 70 percent of foods sold in U.S. grocery stores contain a genetically altered
ingredient, Bonior said.

"Without labeling and ensuring their right-to-know, consumers' interests are not
adequately protected," he and other lawmakers said in a letter to FDA Commissioner
Jane Henney.

Three Republicans -- Benjamin Gilman of New York, Christopher Shays of Connecticut and
Wayne Gilchrest of Maryland -- also signed the letter.

"We believe that the labeling provisions of the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act, which are
intended to ensure that consumers are provided thorough information and are not misled
about the characteristics of their food, require the FDA to label genetically
engineered or modified foods," the letter said.

Also signing the letter was Rep. Dennis Kucinich, an Ohio Democrat, who is drafting a
bill for mandatory labels.

 From @griculture Online newsletter. Bill Brooks
___________________________ CROPS

Put off GMO planting decisions, says expert

An expert at Southern Illinois University has a word of advice for farmers trying to
decide whether they're going to plant genetically modified seed this season. "Wait."
Kim S. Harris, an agribusiness economist from Southern Illinois University -
Carbondale says, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would advocate inaction."
Harris specializes in agribusiness management and decision-making. "It's a problem
that's not going to go away, but it's too soon to make a decision about whether to
plant transgenic crops, which ones to select and how many acres to plant. Delay your
seed purchase decision to later this year or even until the first of next year," says
Harris. "Between now and January 1, I think industry, government and trade
organization representatives in Europe and North America will be meeeting and
identifying the most critical issues. There has to be a breakthrough soon regarding
the market that will exist for GMOs. If the marketability of GMOs isn't resolved soon,
!
!
many
 farmers will switch back to traditional seed varieties," he predicts.

http://www.agriculture.com/worldwide/partners/agonline.html