And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

This message is forwarded to you as a service of Zapatistas Online.
Comments and volunteers are welcome.  Write [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Send submissions to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:30:25 -0500
From: irlandesa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Loud and Clear
Sender: irlandesa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: chiapas-n <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Re:  Denial of FM3 visas to CCIODH delegates

As most of you should know by now, some members of the CCIODH
[International Civil Commission for Human Rights Observation] have been
denied FM3 visas for their current, long-planned observation trip in
Chiapas, despite their having fulfilled all current regulations for the FM3
in a timely and circumspect manner.

CCIODH - as noted in last week's Summary - recently met in Geneva with the
UNHCR's Mexican team and with Mary Robinson's secretary, as well as with
members of the Central America and Mexico group of the European Parliament.
  Their work has been thorough and impactive.  And therein, of course, lies
the rub.

They have asked for faxes to be sent to Diodoro Carrasco, the Secretary of
Government, expressing our intense concern for this matter.

In addition, I might suggest faxes also be sent to President Zedillo,
because this is clearly not an issue of Immigration regulations, but,
rather, a political decision made at the highest levels.  A decision, once
again, to block - by fiat - human rights observation in Chiapas by a group
of persons who have demonstrated their seriousness, their acuity and their
ability to make themselves heard.

It is important for the real playing field to be recognized and for those
actually making the decisions to be held accountable.

I believe it would be helpful if we were to make it clear that we
understand the political agenda here and to express our outrage.

Rewrite this one or write your own.  A few words would suffice.

Yours,
         irlandesa
*******************************
President of Mexico:
Ernesto Zedillo: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
President of the Republic
Palacio Nacional
06067 Mexico D.F.
Fax (52-5)-271 1764/515 4783

Secretary of Government
Diodoro Carrasco Altamirano
Bucareli 99
1.piso
Col. Juarez
06699 Mexico D.F.
Fax: (52-5) 546 5350/ 546 7380 00

http://www.eco.utexas.edu/faculty/Cleaver/chiapas95.html
or gopher to Texas, University of Texas at Austin, Department of
Economics, Mailing Lists.