And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

From: Ann Pohl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newsletter #27 from Coalition for a Public Inquiry

** Uphold Aboriginal Land and Treaty Rights **

Coalition for a Public Inquiry into Ipperwash Newsletter # 27
November 19, 1999
Website: http://www.web.net/~inquiry

Please Join Us!
Coalition Working Meeting
Tuesday, Nov. 30, 1999 - 6 to 8 pm
Native Canadian Centre
16 Spadina Rd (north of Bloor)

How YOU can Get  INVOLVED:
* Pushing the Feds to Call an Inquiry
* Selling Raffle Tickets - Raising Money
* Keeping the Pressure on the Ontario Tories
* Help with Mailings and Postering
* Building Awareness

A REPORT ON THE NOVEMBER 7th REMEMBRANCE CEREMONY IN OTTAWA
On November 7th, the Coalition for a Public Inquiry joined forces with
representatives from First Nations and Canadian Human Rights organizations
from all over Ontario, Manitoba, Quebec and the US.  This assembly of about
200 representatives maintained a two hour presence on Parliament Hill -  in
some mighty frosty weather! - to bring attention to the continuing human
rights issues related to the unjust life imprisonment of Aboriginal rights
activist Leonard Peltier and the fact that Ottawa has done NOTHING about
calling a Public Inquiry into Ipperwash.  Our demands were:

~ A Federal Ipperwash Inquiry can and must say NO! to vigilantes, racists
and out-of-control local authorities and police ~

~ Ottawa must use all diplomatic means possible  to push the US government
for Clemency for Leonard Peltier. ~

We heard both speeches and entertainers.  First up was Warren Allmand,
President of the International Centre for Human Rights and Democratic
Development.  He placed the Ipperwash events and the unjust imprisonment of
Peltier in an international context, calling on the Canadian government to
respond to condemnation by  the international human rights community by: 1)
bringing about an Inquiry into Ipperwash; and, 2)  taking direct action to
push for the release of Peltier. Allmand, former Liberal Solicitor General,
reminded the audience and the media that Canada is complicit in Peltier's
imprisonment because of this government's compliance with totally fabricated
extradition orders from the US.
Marilyn Buffalo, National President of the Native Women's Association of
Canada, then spoke about the continuing injustices experienced by First
Peoples across Canada, especially the most vulnerable among the Peoples: the
poor, the landless, the non-Status, and the women who must bear many of the
burdens of keeping things together. She attacked the governments at both
levels for their lack of action on inquiring into the events that occurred
at Ipperwash Park on September 6, 1995.  She concluded her remarks by
saying, "Without truth there will be no justice."

The rally participants moved in procession from the Parliament buildings to
the Human Rights Monument recently erected on Elgin Street, in Ottawa's
downtown area.  At the Monument, we were guided through a Remembrance
Ceremony by Algonquin Traditional Teacher Bob Lovelace, who also works with
the Four directions center at Queen's University.  During these moments,  we
specifically honoured all those who have sacrificed their lives for
Aboriginal People's land, treaty, economic, social, and cultural rights: the
ones whose names we know, such as Dudley and Leonard, and the many, many,
many others through history whose names are lost to us.

This monument is a poignant and powerful place to have such a Ceremony
because of what it stands for - and also  inside its sheltering walls are
dozens of  plaques inscribed with the names of First Peoples (in the
Aboriginal languages) who lived on this part of Turtle Island before the
arrival of the Newcomers.  It is place which we will visit again.

We were very honoured to have with us Dan and Mary Lou Smoke.  Dan is Seneca
of the Kildeer Clan, and is also the Eagle Staff Carrier for the London
area; he brought the Staff on the journey to Parliament Hill and the Human
Rights Monument.  Mary Lou is Ojibway, and is both a beautiful singer and a
very active community person, including serving as President for one of the
Coalition's affiliate groups, the London-based Wiich Ke Yig.

Greetings were brought to us by Sean McKenny (who is with the Ottawa &
District Labour Council), on behalf of the Canadian Labour Congress who have
staunchly stood up for the Ipperwash Inquiry since Sept. 1995, and from  the
Leonard Peltier Defense Committee, Canada, by Bernadette Rudisuela who
reminded the audience that this November is Leonard Peltier Freedom Month.
"Grandpa Bear", a Mohawk Elder and Executive Director of the New York
State-based North America Native Warriors Association, spoke in detail about
the situation of political prisoners, of all races, in the USA. During the
proceedings, we were entertained by "Elder Singer Emeritus" Willie Dunn, as
well as the up-and-coming and very impressive talents of Shoshona Kish and
Raven Polson-Lahache. Finally, and certainly not least, we had three Drums
with us: Mary Lou Smoke's, a Women's Drum who sang at the Monument, and
Jimmy Dick and other Toronto Drum members, who sang at the Hill, during the
Procession and inside the Monument.

A report on our Ottawa presence re: Ipperwash and Leonard  Peltier would be
incomplete if we didn't thank some key individuals who put the whole thing
together at that end: Albert, Ed, Patricia and Shellene, as well as many
others -especially in the Odawa Traditional Pow Wow Committee and the
Aboriginal Rights Coalition, who helped with the food, serving and cleanup
for the Feast.  Thanks also to lawyer & human rights activist Mary Eberts.
Also, thanks to MP Louise Hardy, NDP Indian Affairs Critic, for her support
with the permit approvals. We MUST name SOME of the groups, not mentioned
yet, who contributed towards this and other current Coalition strategies:
Canadian Auto Workers, Ontario Federation of Indian Friendship Centres,
Ontario Federation of Labour, Citizens for Public Justice, Canadian Labour
Congress, Ontario Conference of Catholic Bishops, Canadian Friends Service
Committee, B'nai Brith League for Human Rights, Steelworkers District 6,
OPSEU, Union of Ontario Indians, Student Christian Movement (York),
Aboriginal Rights Movement, Ontario Coalition for Social Justice & Toronto
and York Labour Council.

FOLLOW UP STRATEGY: We are sending a letter to each MP, which will be
accompanied by this Newsletter and a copy of the article about us that ran
in the Ottawa Sun.  In addition, we have secured invitations to meet with
the Bloc Quebeçois and Progressive Conservative Indian Affairs critics
which, together with the supportive relationship we have with the federal
NDP, should help ensure that the need for a federal Ipperwash Inquiry is
raised in Parliament.

YOU CAN HELP US PUSH FOR A FEDERAL INQUIRY
Given the rising tensions across the country as courts recognize Aboriginal
rights which some individuals and many corporations do not want to
acknowledge, a federal Inquiry is more urgent than ever.  This inquiry would
look at all the circumstances surrounding the death of Dudley George.  It
would produce policy recommendations to prevent similar human rights abuses
arising when local authorities respond to assertions of rights by Aboriginal
Peoples.

Please write, fax, or email the Hon. Robert Nault, Minister of Indian
Affairs, to request that he meet with Coalition representatives concerning
his responsibility to call an Inquiry. Remind him that the United Nation
Human Rights Committee urged Canada to strike this Inquiry on April 7, 1999
and that, in so doing, the UN joins hundreds of other groups and promi-nent
individuals - including Amnesty International and Ontario's Ombudsman.
Write him at 10 Wellington St., 21st fl/Suite 2100, Hull, PQ K1A 0H4; email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; fax 819-953-4941. Please send us a copy of your  letter.

TO SUPPORT HUMAN RIGHTS AND ABORIGINAL SOVEREIGNTY, PLEASE JOIN US.

Donations & Information: Box 111, Station C, Toronto, On M6J 3M7
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ Tel: 416-537-3520 ~ Fax: 416-538-2559

This newsletter was written and circulated by volunteer labour.