And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

11/19/99
http://www.indiancountry.com/headlines.html
[excerpts...see URL above for complete stories]
     Report documents plight of the Innu people
RANKIN INLET, Labrador - With suicide rates among the highest in the world, a national
Aboriginal rights organization blames the Canadian government for providing some of
the worst living conditions in the world.

Violence, sexual abuse, drunkenness, gas sniffing, deprivation and suicide are
everyday conditions for the Innu people of northeast Canada. Government being blamed
for highest suicide rates in the world ..

     Sen. Inouye urges new image for American Indians
TUCSON, Ariz. - Hold fast to sovereignty and self-governance, while improving
mainstream America's image of Indians, urged Sen. Daniel K. Inouye.

"You better make certain that your sovereignty remains intact. Once you lose that,
then, as President Reagan said, 'You'll be one of us,'" the Democrat from Hawaii told
tribal leaders attending an economic development conference here. Unsettling to some
were his descriptions of "shacks" on Pine Ridge, the "smell" of Navajo hogans, and his
reference to California and Oklahoma as "dumping grounds" for Indians.

The vice-chairman of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs said he grew up with the
image of cowboys and Indians, and those negative stereotypes held by mainstream
America should be changed.
"Indians were always treacherous; Indians were always cruel; Indians were drunks."

     A ceremony of healing honors slain humanitarians
WASHINGTON, D.C. - It is a bustling mid-week November afternoon here in the nation's
capitol. Just across the street from the White House at a small park the office lunch
crowd lounges in the warm autumn air. And in this same park, friends gather to wrap
their arms and spirits around the families of three loved ones murdered last winter in
Columbia, South America.

This weeping ceremony is one of the most poignant moments during a month-long campaign
to raise awareness on the continuing struggle to free Leonard Peltier and injustices
throughout Indigenous communities worldwide.

     Lecturer under attack in Aquash case
Native lecturer/author Ward Churchill, Creek, Metis and Cherokee, came to the
University of Northern Kentucky in Highland Heights to talk about a new vision of
Native America from the Indigenous perspective.

Instead he found himself under attack as a conspirator in the 1975 death of Anna Mae
Aquash on the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota.

In his opening statements Churchill said Leonard Peltier is "illegally incarcerated in
a federal prison," reminding his audience that supporters were calling special
attention to Peltier's situation with daily demonstrations in Washington, D.C., and
elsewhere. "You have no right to speak about Leonard Peltier, you're not a member of
the American Indian Movement. You're a cop, Ward. You've always been a cop," Tom
Pierce, an AIM supporter from Louisville, yelled from the audience. He was promptly
escorted from the auditorium by university officials. Shortly after, a young woman
ordered Churchill to "Stop lying!" The speaker told her to sit down and keep quiet.
She and her male companion were escorted from the room. Members of a local AIM support
group had handed out a press release entitled, "US Government War Against the American
Indian Movement" released by the AIM Council on Security and Intelligence. It alleges
Churchill is part of a conspiracy to sow disruption, division an!
!
!
d co
nfusion about the legitimate leadership of the American Indian Movement.

Asked why he was being heckled, Churchill said, "This is the work of a couple of
destitute men who were at one time famous and are seeking to make money on this past
fame,"
[Churchill stated]He had not met Pictou-Branscombe until that day, Churchill said,
adding the press conference, was for Pictou-Branscombe to present information he
claimed solved the murder of Anna Mae Aquash in 1975. That day Pictou-Branscombe
accused Vernon and Clyde Bellecourt of being FBI informants.

The brothers, directors of the national chapter of AIM, deny any involvement. Vernon
Bellecourt said he is pursuing legal remedies against activist Russell Means,
Pictou-Branscombe, Churchill and any news media that carried names of people publicly
accused but never charged with any crime relating to the Aquash death.

Churchill claimed Vernon Bellecourt has always been an FBI operative and receives
large amounts of federal money for his AIM operations. He went on to say he has been
convinced of that since 1994 - after the 1993 AIM tribunal where Vernon Bellecourt was
found guilty of treason in the death of Anna Mae Aquash.

Branscombe misspoke at an Ottawa press conference in September when he accused Means
of involvement in the Aquash murder, Churchill maintains. "The only person who I've
heard accuse Russell of involvement with the Aquash murder is Vernon Bellecourt, and
he knows better."

     Ward Churchill is called a conspirator disrupting AIM

     Sister Act Robinsons' voice their generation
The Robinson sisters, Carla and Eden are two of the most powerful young Native voices
today. Carla, 28, appears every week at 10 p.m. (EST) as an anchor on CBC's Newsworld,
a nightly national television newscast in Canada.

On Jan. 23, Eden, 31, will launch her first novel, "Monkey Beach" (Knopf Canada,
2000). Her first book of short stories, "Traplines" (Knopf Canada, 1996) received rave
reviews three years ago.

The sisters are the flowers of a new generation of Native journalists and writers in
Canada and the United States. Since the '60s, the numbers of working Native
journalists and writers has grown, but until recently, media coverage of Native
people's issues was limited. The Robinsons are determined to do something about that.
As more Native people join the ranks of professional journalists and writers, the
breadth and depth of coverage of Native issues expands. The U.S.-based Native American
Journalists' Association membership for this year is about 300. They work in all
media, including newspapers, television and radio. For years, Native journalists have
worked in Native communities for tribally run media organizations. Now, that
journalists like Carla are seated in prominent positions in organizations like CBC,
she and others like her can influence non-Native journalists.

"One of the things I noticed talking with other Native journalists is that our
colleagues are getting to know us as peers. That's a big step ' usually we're victims
or source material," Carla said.........
  Indians in Canada did not become citizens until 1964.

    Colville artist lives to paint, but dreams of family and fishing

     Native cable program reaches 350,000 homes