Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

Navajo/Hopi Observer News Briefs
"No surrender," says John Trudell
http://www.navajohopiobserver.com/news4.htm
Picture it. Musicians as modern-day messengers. Walt Richardson, a popular Reggae
artist, views musicians as today's high priests. One might be skeptical of this
opinion, but think about it. Who are most people more likely to listen to-musicians or
politicians? Perhaps it depends on the circle you run with.

But the circle that formed in Kykotsmovi at the Hopi Veteran's Memorial Center on
November 13 was definitely one of musicians and music lovers. John Trudell, Walt
Richardson, Casper, Blackfire, Aaron White and John Katz of Burning Sky, Nation's
Ensemble and Bad Moon Rising gathered together to focus attention on the destruction
of the sacred San Francisco Peaks by the White Vulcan pumice mine north of Flagstaff.
The event was sponsored by the Sierra Club, Yavapai-Apache, Havasupai, Diné C.A.R.E.,
Navajo Medicine Men's Association, Apaches for Cultural Preservation, Power Bar and
Red Rock Foundation.

No change in Wilson shooting status
http://www.navajohopiobserver.com/news2.htm
Six months after the shooting death of a Navajo man, no charges have been pressed
against his killers. On May 24, Alonzo Wilson was at the house of his Alpine Ranchos
neighbors Gary Netzley and Craig Darnsteadt in the early morning hours. According to
police reports, Netzley shot Wilson.
Netzley and Darnsteadt waited hours before driving the wounded Wilson 40 miles into
Flagstaff. They deposited him at the Flagstaff Medical Center, where he died from his
wounds four days later.
The detective continued, according to the transcript. "Gary says that while en route
to the hospital, Craig was driving and that the vehicle-that Craig had stopped at
least once, at which time Gary decides that since the shotgun was sawed-off and most
likely illegal....he decides to walk away from the vehicle and toss it into the woods."

Deputy Emry discused interviews with residents of Alpine Ranchos, including
information from a source who had heard Netzley say that he was "going to get" Wilson.
Wilson, Darnsteadt and Netzley were neighbors. The sources maintained that when he
overheard Netzley talking about "getting" Wilson, he didn't take it seriously, but
after the shooting, he realized that the man was serious.

After deliberation, the Grand Jury did not return a bill for indictment. This
frustrated the Wilson family. After reading news reports in the Navajo-Hopi Observer,
a reporter from the Arizona Republic contacted the paper and asked to join in the
journalistic investigation. The end result was concern by Phoenix Chapter the National
Association from the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)

Revenernd Tillman of the NAACP contacted the Wilson family and started his own
investigation into the incident on the basis of Civil Rights violations. "I have
contacted the Sheriff, the County Attorney and the FBI," Tillman explained. "I am
working with other NAACP members to pursue this further, through the Department of
Justice."

In the meantime, the Wilson family suffers. While the rest of America celebrates
Thanksgiving this week, the Wilson family will get together at Wide Ruins and pray for
justice.

Community supports Miss Navajo Nation's Thanksgiving food project
http://www.navajohopiobserver.com/news1.htm
Miss Navajo Nation, Victoria Yazzie, was in Flagstaff November 18 to accept a $200
donation for her Thanksgiving food project from Canyon Forest Village.

Yazzie estimates that her endeavor to feed 150 needy families on Thanksgiving will
cost $2,000.
Miss Navajo Nation can be contacted by writing the
                   Office of Miss Navajo Nation, P.O. Box 2860, Window
                   Rock, AZ 86515 or calling (520) 871-6379.