Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

From: "NCRSM Illinois" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: URGENT CALL TO ACTION!
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 01:02:53 CST

NATIONAL COALITION ON RACISM IN SPORTS AND THE MEDIA (NCRSM)

For more information contact:
Michael S. Haney, Natl. Exec. Dir. NCRSM. (217)355-6757 or (217)344-6928
Cyd Crue, NCRSM-IL Vice President (217)355-6757
Paula Ostrovsky,NCRSM-IL Exec. Dir. (217)344-6928

URGENT CALL TO ACTION!

Dear Friends
        As part of our national campaign to rid U.S. schools of racist mascots, the
NCRSM has been involved in negotiations with the Salmon, Idaho, School Board to
eliminate their Salmon Savages mascot and name. The School Board had agreed to drop
all Native imagery and was still considering whether to keep the name.  Recent reports
indicate that the Salmon School Board is reneging on this decision and will decide
what to do after talking with the local Shoshone Bannock Tribal leaders.  The Shoshone
Bannock Tribe was among many that voted unanimously for resolutions against Indian
mascots and names, and more recently on a resolution affirming traditional and
cultural property rights, at the National Congress of American Indians. However, the
Shoshone Bannock Tribal Council has remained silent in this particular case. The
neighboring Pocatello School District is also trying to keep their "Indians" high
school "tradition"and will follow the actions of the Salmon Board. Regardless of th!
!
!
!
e ac
tions of the local tribe, we feel that the impact of calling Native Americans
"savages" or having us as mascots affects all Indians in this country and this is why
we need your voice to be heard.

The NCRSM calls for your immediate support on the following actions:

1. Contact the Shoshone Bannock Tribal Council asking for their support:
Shoshone Bannock Tribe, P.O. Box 220, Fort Hall, ID 83203
Telephone: 208-238-3805 or 208-238-3700
Fax: 208-237-0797
Duane Thompson, Tribal Chairman
Keith Tinno
J. D. Wadsworth
Claudio Broncho
Whitie Edmo
Larry Bagley
Mike Dann

2. Contact the Salmon School District asking them to change the mascot and name:
Candice R. Donicht, Superintendent
District No. 291
P.O. Box 790
Salmon, ID 83467
Telephone: 208-756-4271
Fax: 208-756-6695

3. Contact the Pocatello  School District asking them to change the mascot and name:
Carol McWilliam (School District Director of Secondary Education and Principal of
Pocatello High School)
School District No. 21
3115 Poleline Rd.
Pocatello, ID 83204
Telephone: 208-233-2056
Fax: 208-232-0365

Pocatello High School
325 N. Arthur St.
Pocatello, ID 83204-3101
Telephone: 208-232-3563

4. Write to the Salmon newspaper:
The Recorder Herald
519 Van Dreff St.
Salmon, ID 83467
Telephone: 208-756-2221
Fax: 208-756-2222

5. Write to the Pocatello paper:
Idaho State Journal
305 South Arthur
PO Box 431
Pocatello, Idaho 83204

Switchboard Phone: 208-232-4161
Newsroom Fax: 208-233-8007
Advertising Fax: 208-233-1642
Classifieds Advertising: 208-232-4780
Press Release E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Letters to the Editor E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
General Newsroom E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

6. Lastly, we need your help on our legal battle against the Marquette, MI School
Board (defending their "Redmen and Redettes").  The Defendants have asked for a jury
trial, so things will get very interesting. Lawyers, other volunteers, letters of
support, resolutions and position papers to build our case, and donations are needed.
Please contact NCRSM at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] or (217) 344-6928/355-6757.

<<<<=-=-=                                  =-=-=>>>>
"We simply chose an Indian as the emblem.
  We could have just as easily chosen any
uncivilized animal."
   Eighth Grade student writing about his school's
   mascot, 1997

<<<<=-=  http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/racial/  =-=>>>>

IF it says:
"PASS THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW...."
Please Check it before you send it at:

http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blhoax.htm

<<<<=-=-=FREE LEONARD PELTIER!!!=-=-=>>>>