http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/7gSolB/TM

----- Original Message -----
From: Russell Diabo
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 6:25 AM
Subject: Judge orders recount in NWT riding

Judge orders recount in NWT riding
Last Updated Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:22:57 EDT
YELLOWKNIFE - A judge of the Northwest Territories Supreme Court has ordered a recount
in the riding of Western Arctic.

Liberal Ethel Blondin-Andrew held the riding by 52 votes against New Democratic Party
challenger Dennis Bevington in the June 28 election.

      Ethel Blondin-Andrew (file picture)

  a.. CANADA VOTES: Western Arctic

"We're certainly not presuming that the end result is going to change, but certainly
there were enough questions - unanswered questions - in our mind that we wanted to be
able to take a look at all the ballots from across the territory," said NDP campaign
manager Mark Heyck.

Justice Virginia Schuler agreed with the NDP request for a recount on Friday. The
judge ruled that an affidavit filed by an election scrutineer is enough to trigger a
recount.

Scrutineer Vanessa Worseley said a spoiled ballot was counted for Blondin-Andrew at a
Yellowknife polling station.

Schuler disregarded the NDP's other claims of election irregularities.

She also rejected a Liberal request to recount only the votes at the polling station
in question. She said the existence of one irregularity means there may be others at
other polling stations.

Heyck said voters have a right to ensure that the democratic process is fair and
untarnished. "We feel that the process needs to be above reproach."

Blondin-Andrew's representatives refused comment.

The Conservative candidate received 3,000 fewer votes than Blondin-Andrew, and the
Green representative even fewer.

There have been three judicial recounts of results from the election. None have
resulted in a new winner.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Native News North
List info{all lists}: