http://edmonton.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ed-police-email200506
13

Chief unhappy about inappropriate e-mail
Last updated Jun 13 2005 04:00 PM MDT
CBC News

EDMONTON – The Edmonton Police are under fire again, after reports that an
officer sent around an e-mail that contained racist comments about
aboriginals.

Acting Chief Daryl da Costa won't discuss the details of the e-mail, but
said the contents were inappropriate and that an internal investigation has
been launched.

"I was disgusted by the contents of the e-mail, and disappointed as well,"
he said. "Really, we're not interested in hiding anything. We want to deal
with these issues.

"We all find them disappointing and we want to make sure everybody in our
organization knows it's not appropriate and we won't tolerate it."

The Edmonton Journal reported that the e-mail was sent from one officer to
a number of other officers in the downtown division. The newspaper said
that the e-mail, intended as a joke, contained 10 rules for how to treat an
aboriginal person.

It's the latest scandal to hit the department, which has been dealing with
the fallout from a drunk driving sting that targeted a newspaper columnist
and the former head of the police commission.

As well, three traffic officers are under investigation after there were
allegations that perks were received from a company that got a photo radar
contract.

Mayor Stephen Mandel said he has full confidence in the city's police
service, and that any missteps are being taken by a handful of officers.

"This is an issue that Chief da Costa is attacking right up front, no
fooling around," Mandel said. "He's going to deal with it efficiently and
effectively and there's zero tolerance for that, as he said in the media,
and I think that's the way it has to be.

"We can't tolerate any kinds of comments in e-mails or treating people that
way at all. It's unacceptable in Edmonton, it's unacceptable anywhere."

Native News North
List info{all lists}:
http://nativenewsonline.org/natnews.htm

Yahoo! Groups Links