----- Original Message -----
From: RUSSELL DIABO
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 5:59 AM
Subject: Budget makes no promises for housing

      Budget makes no promises for housing

      by John Currie

      The federal budget has become the central issue of the country. Its
passing or not passing on May 19 will prove or disprove parliamentarians'
confidence in Prime Minister Paul Martin's minority Liberal government. A vote
of non-confidence will force an election. Beyond the political confidence issue
however, promises to First Nations peoples have been made with this budget and,
more recently, with the budget deal the Liberals made with the New Democratic
Party. The NDP-Liberal deal came about as a means to earn support for Martin's
minority government budget. The deal includes a $4.5-billion boost in social
program spending over two years, of which $1.6 billion is to be set aside for
affordable housing construction, of which some portion is promised for
Aboriginal housing. "Money towards Aboriginals for housing, both on-reserve and
off-reserve will be a component of the $1.6 billion," said Peter Graham, a
representative from Minister of Labour and Housing Joe Fontana's office. The
component promised in February for Aboriginal housing was $295 million over
five years. "That was additional money that was added to this year's budget,
above and beyond the current spending that the government does for Aboriginal
(housing)," Graham said. The $295 million is aimed solely at on-reserve
housing. It is targeted to build new homes as well as renovate existing
on-reserve homes. $200 million of it is promised to be spent in the first two
fiscal years. As for the $1.6 billion in the budget deal, exactly how much will
go toward Aboriginal housing has not been disclosed. "We are not getting into
details right now in terms of the amounts," said Graham. "We're working on the
program details right now with Finance and other departments." There is no
obligation for provincial matching funds for any of the housing money promised.
The NDP states on its website that "this requirement has been proven to fail in
the delivery of affordable housing construction." Nevertheless, the Liberals
expect other partners to join in the spending campaign for Aboriginal housing.
"It is our hope that we will be able to leverage additional funds through this
investment," Graham said. The budget deal is based on the Government of Canada
first paying off $2 billion in debt before a penny of the planned $4.5 billion
gets spent. When Martin's budget was first announced, Assembly of First Nations
National Chief Phil Fontaine said, "This budget will condemn our people to last
place for a lot longer." Union of Ontario Indians Grand Chief John Beaucage has
stated that First Nations require an immediate investment of $1 billion per
year to address what he has termed the "First Nations housing deficit." Critics
have pointed out high budget surpluses in light of the need for spending on
Aboriginal issues.

      Wawatay News Vol.32 #10 (May 19, 2005)
      2005.06.13 | Reads: 5 |

© 2005 Wawatay Native Communications Society
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Native News North
List info{all lists}:
http://nativenewsonline.org/natnews.htm