Hearings on Proposed Pipeline Continue

By 250 News<http://www.opinion250.com/blog/author/30/1/250+news>
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 03:58 AM
http://www.opinion250.com/blog/view/25004/1/hearings+on+proposed+pipeline+continue

Prince George,B.C.- Still feeling the sting of being labelled "radical" for
their opposition to the proposed Enbridge pipeline, speaker after speaker told
the Joint Review Panel yesterday they are not radicals, they are just ordinary
B.C. citizens who care about the future of the region.

The panel is in Prince George for oral submissions on the proposed Northern
Gateway project.

There are more than 70 speakers lined up to make a presentation, and with one
day of hearings complete, today's session will carry on with the balance of
submissions.

Speakers have pointed to the fact the bitumen that would flow from Bruderheim
Alberta to Kitimat, would cross thousands of waterways, and pass through areas
which are known for landslides and avalanches, and classed as a moderate
earthquake zone.

Speakers also asked why the bitumen isn't being processed here in Canada, "Did
Prime Minster Harper make a deal that promised Canada wouldn't build any more
refineries?" asked Prince George area rancher Peter Applejohn.

While there are more than 5 dozen speakers listed to address the JRP, one would
be hard pressed to find anyone attending these hearings, who supports the
proposed twin pipeline.

Speaker after speaker reminded the JRP the bitumen to be shipped is a national
resource "owned" by Canadians. Rancher Ian Hickman called for the Premier of
B.C. and the Prime Minister to start listening to the people who own the
resource, "We've got a say in this matter, if we say 'stay out' then, stay out!"

Those in attendance gave Nadia Nowak a standing ovation when she finished her
presentation. She told the panel she has seen the Enbridge ads "Enbridge is
right, this is more than a pipeline,....it threatens our national identity".
Choking back tears she called on the panel to do the the right thing for those
who have no voice, the eagles, the cedars, the salmon, the rivers and the land
"I will be blown away if you say this pipeline is the right thing to do when
you know in your heart it is not."

The hearings resume this morning at at the Prince George Civic Centre.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: