----- Original Message -----
From: First Peoples Human Rights Coalition
To: i...@firstpeoplesrights.org
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 5:04 AM
Subject: First Nations court seen as path out of vicious cycle

>From the article below: "The judge had an epiphany when she first asked an
>offender to share his life experience with the court. The man was astonished,
>but she could see the change in him as a result."

______________________________
KAMLOOPS
The Daily News
Your News Now.ca

First Nations court seen as path out of vicious cycle

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20120503/KAMLOOPS0101/120509891/-1/kamloops/first-nations-court-seen-as-path-out-of-vicious-cycle

'We can do it here,' Tke'mlups lawyer says
Murray Mitchell
Justice Marion Buller Bennett speaks at TRU Thursday.
MAY 3, 2012

BY MIKE YOUDS
DAILY NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Local bands have asked for a First Nations court to be established in Kamloops,
delegates heard Thursday at an Aboriginal justice forum at TRU.

The forum focused on the Aboriginal sentencing principles of Gladue, recently
reaffirmed by the Supreme Court of Canada, while hosting Justice Marion Buller
Bennett of First Nations court in New Westminster.

Of Aboriginal descent, the judge took it on her own initiative six years ago to
open the province's first court dedicated to restorative justice for sentencing
on criminal and family court matters. A similar court opened in North Vancouver
last month.

"Judge Buller Bennett is restorative justice personified," said Pamela Shields,
manager of Aboriginal services for the Legal Services Society. "It's a path out
of this endless cycle of aboriginal people being caught up in the criminal
justice system."

Aboriginals are vastly over-represented in the system and their rate of
incarceration is far higher than their proportion of the population. The
disparity has long been explained as a reflection of poverty, language and
cultural differences, but there may be other underlying factors.

One speaker described the issue as the consequence of centuries of colonial
domination compounded by residential schools and the removal of children from
their families.

Prof. Shelly Johnson, a TRU social work instructor, pointed to "historical
trauma theory," a relatively new concept. The theory holds that populations
historically subjected to long-term, mass trauma - colonialization, smothering
of rights and title, destruction of culture and family - exhibit a higher
prevalence of disease.

"What this says is, we need a lot of time and a lot of understanding to realize
what brought us to this point and how we move forward," Johnson said.

Buller Bennett described First Nations court as a work in progress. She became
dissatisfied a decade ago with how she could sentence Aboriginal people and how
she could deal with First Nations families in a more constructive way.

An amendment to the Criminal Code requiring judges to consider alternatives
other than prison for all offenders, particularly Aboriginal offenders, helped
bring about the change.

The judge had an epiphany when she first asked an offender to share his life
experience with the court. The man was astonished, but she could see the change
in him as a result.

"Everyone else in the courtroom thought I'd completely lost it," she said. "But
that was when I changed."

First Nations court takes a holistic and restorative approach, the judge
explained. After a plea is taken, she orders a pre-sentence report with a
Gladue component. Next, the Crown describes the offence and position on
sentencing, and then everyone in the court can speak to the case, including the
offender, elders, social workers, family members, victims and police.

Sentencing is referred to a "healing plan," its aim being to get to the root of
the problem and provide supports and referrals to services that counter
recidivism. Two-way community involvement is critical to the process, she noted.

"People who are marginalized don't think they have anything to offer," the
judge said. "Included in the community, they're not so marginalized . And they
become a person of value."

Linda Thomas, legal manager for Tk'emlups te Secwepemc and one of the forum
hosts, pointed out that the Kamloops court registry is the largest and busiest
in Interior B.C. Aboriginals represent 7.7 per cent of Kamloops' population, so
there is a significant need for First Nations court.

"I think we can do it here," she said.

Together with Skeetchestn and Simpcw First Nations, Tk'emlups has formed an
Aboriginal justice council. On behalf of all Secwepemc bands, Tk'emlups wrote
to Attorney General Shirley Bond early this year to a sitting of a First
Nations court in Kamloops but there has been no response.

Thomas described the court as a recognition of a unique history.

"It's not a get out of jail card. It's not a sentence reduction. It's a whole
other way of doing court."

Copyright 2012 Glacier Media Inc.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional