> Apache used to have different .conf file but then merged into one
> httpd.conf.

really? isn't the opposite the case?
on all my SuSE boxes there's a main config file including the others.
think this is so for a long history of releases.
so all of these server management tools just need to create separate
config files, e.g. for virtual servers, to add new entries, e.g.

> Multiple config files may not be easy to maintain and configure.

depends. options can be documented more thoroughly as one would if there is
only one file available. negative example is a squid config file, if i
remember right).

-Bernd.