Unix is not Unix as I see...

Please note this (interesting) document:

  http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/event_completion.html

Mostly interesting, as there is now a very powerful and scalable
notification interface on both Solaris and Mac OSX (aka BSD)
Unixes. Windows has it as well, with Linux hanging pretty much
behind (unfortunately).

I wonder if we should start making ifdefs or wrappers to be able
to benefit from the corresponding event notification interface
available on the current platform.

Mainly this would affect poll() usage in the driver thread
but can also be used all arround the code where we have to
wait for multiple "things" to happen.

Does anybody have something to comment about that?

Ah yes.., why "brawe new world"? Because Unix OS is diverging
and OS vendors are adding new (incompatible) functionality
on a monthly basis. I wonder how this will all look in 10
years in future...

Cheers
Zoran