On 29.09.2007, at 15:32, Stephen Deasey wrote:

> As far as I can tell, we already support streaming binary data, both
> to HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 clients (and also to non-HTTP custom clients).
>
> Can you show some example code? What did you expect would happen, what
> actually happened?

OK. Very simple. I must generate/send headers with
ns_headers but without Content-Length element.
Later, I get [bs_conn channel] and use it to pump
the data to remote from custom C-code writing to the
connection channel. The length of data is not known
in advance, hence I cannot have Content-Length set
in output headers. At the moment there is no way to
do that. It was before. Some later chnage(s)  disabled
it. So I changed ns_headers to allow -1 for optional
length argument in which case Content-Length is removed
from output headers before flushing them.

Then I saw the ChangeLog entry about "-binary" flag to
ns_headers but I could not find it in the code.
Hence the question.... (still not answered)

>> Still: what good is ns_startcontent when you have
>> ns_headers and ns_write?
>

> I don't think it makes sense any more.
>
> It came from the old ArsDigita encoding patches to aolserver-3.x. The
> idea was you would write your own headers using ns_write, then you'd
> call ns_startcontent to signify that you'd finished writing headers
> and were now going to write content in some particular encoding, so
> the ns_write command should now encode the data you pass it.  Headers
> should always be ascii.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> http://naviserver.cvs.sourceforge.net/naviserver/naviserver/tests/
> tclresp.test?revision=1.14&view=markup#l_496
>
> This is all handled automatically now, and ns_startcontent should
> not be used.

Why don't we declare it deprecated? It just confuses people
(at least it confused me).

Cheers
Zoran