On 10.05.2010, at 12:55, Stephen Deasey wrote:

> Which code are you looking at? IIRC, you removed this code years ago:
>
>    http://bitbucket.org/naviserver/naviserver/changeset/a6e8a6348da0

We do still have people using old'er OS'es and by scrapping this out
they were forced to change buffer sizes on the OS level (system-wide)
which created side-effects we are now fighting with. And it is very
"expensive" to do this on the customer site :-(

Hence I thought to re-vive the socket buffers manipulation and
extend it to all API (including Tcl). But this time I wanted to make
it "correct".

Mostly people using HTTP services only will not be really caring too
much about this. But we use HTTP connections to shuffle TB of data
accross networks and we are very interested in doing all sorts of
optimisations that we can.

What I have in mind is to:

a. make necessary changes to the driver code so that socket options
are set before we actually call listen().

b. add ?-socketbuffersize size? option to all Tcl API commands that
work with sockets.

The a. is really the most work as it will require either chaning
existing (sub-optimal) and/or adding new (more optimal) C-APIs.

The b. is relatively harmless and should be straight-forward once
the a. is done.

The default should be "no changes" as mostly the OS'es would do
the right thing.

BTW... I have really found out that only newer Linuxes do this
automatically (re-size buffers to accomondate to high-latency links).
So far neither Solaris nor Mac OSX nor Windows do this.
I may be wrong but I was not able to find anything related on the
internet.

Cheers
Zoran