The Naviserver makefiles often definite a LIB variable, e.g.:

  LIB = nsthread

However, on Windows the LIB environment variable is a semicolon
separated list of paths where the linker will look for libraries:

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6y6t9esh

This makes it hard to set the LIB linker path from inside makefiles
without the two colliding and breaking things.  Is there some good way
for me to keep the nmake variable and environment variable namespaces
separate on Windows, or are they necessarily mixed?

What's the best fix for this variable collision problem?  Would it be
clearest to just rename all of Naviserver's uses of LIB to something
else?  (DLL?  LIB_NAME?  MYLIB?)

Note that I'm currently running into this because the example Windows
nmake files Ibrahim Tannir of Archiware sent me mostly replace only
include/Makefile.module, and re-use Naviserver's stock per-module
makefiles.  At first glance that seems reasonable to me, as most of
the per-module makefiles are very simple, and should presumably work
correctly in both Gnu make and Window nmake.

But these sorts of speed bumps make me wonder if the approach is a
mistake and I'd be better off using a completely independent Windows
makefile.

--
Andrew Piskorski <a...@piskorski.com>