On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 11:38:53 +0200
Gustaf Neumann <neum...@wu.ac.at> wrote:

> since HTTP has means to include encodings, which NaviServer uses
> acting as a server, it should behave the same way when acting as a
> client and not burdening the application to dig into the content-type
> charsets to call the right conversion stuff.

After the patch, ns_http became similar to ns_return: understands charset and
-binary )

> Having NaviServer versions leading to different
> results depending on compile flags is not a good idea.

Totally agree. #ifdefs were inserted only for safety because this code changes
the usual behavior of the ns_http command

> To get a more detailed understanding, i have to dig into your examples
> to understand whether this is indeed a problem on the Tcl side or
> in NaviServer, ... but for this, i need a certain block of time, which
> is hard to get for me right now.

Please see my answer to Zoran. There I wrote my opinion (possibly wrong) about
using the Tcl_NewStringObj function.

Oleg.