From: David Spencer [mailto:dspen...@oresis.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 4:51 PM
To: Nebs List Serve (E-mail); TREG (E-mail)
Subject: DS3 Grounding for NI to NI

Hi All,
We have found ourselves in a bit of a quandary over grounding the shields of
DS3 connections on our switch.  I have the following opinions to date:

1.  The DS3 is grounded at the transmitter, always.  The Receiver may be
grounded or isolated.  Selectable is an added feature.

2.  Because it is Network Interface (NI) to NI, intra-building, they all get
grounded to one another, i.e. bulkhead grounding to frame ground.

ANSI T1.102, T1.404, and GR-499 do not give a great deal of guidance.  The
most applicable is in T1.404, where it says:

The shields of the connecting coaxial cables meeting at the NI through the
TNC connectors (see 8.2) MAY interconnect the network and CI equipment
grounds. Because this is not suitable as the common ground reference, it is
necessary that the network and CI equipment be interconnected following
appropriate installation
procedures consistent with existing safety standards to form the common
ground reference. High-frequency pulse isolation transformers may be
required at the CI to prevent excessive ground currents in the shields of
the connecting cables as shown in figure 5.

Figure 5 shows a connection with isolation transformers installed.

If the ground loops are not too high (could be an amp or more between frames
depending where they are in the building if running a radial ground) I
suppose it is not a safety issue.  However, when you have multiple DS3's
connecting between different frames to your common ground feeder, it seems
like it could get ugly as you reinvent the grounding topology.  If there is
already a mesh network in the building, then I suppose it makes no
difference at all.

Please advise if you know of any standards, RBOC
guidelines/practices/directives, or common practices.   This must be a pet
issue for someone out there with an opinion.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
Best Regards,
Dave Spencer     Compliance Engineer
Oresis Communications, Inc.
14670 NW Greenbrier Parkway, Beaverton, OR  97006
* dspen...@oresis.com  * http://www.oresis.com
* (503) 466-6289  * (503) 533-8233