Mike,

I don't believe that you'll find any requirement in GR-63-CORE or GR-1089-CORE
for dual-redundant power supplies.  What you probably have is a specification
specifying a "High Availability" system, which is often associated with the
near-100% uptime that is expected of telecommunications facilities.  The benefit
of dual-redundant power is that it removes one opportunity for a single-point
failure from your equipment shelf.  NEBS is frequently required of
telecommunications equipment if it is either (1) purchased by Bell South, SBC,
Qwest, or Verizon, and/or (2) be placed in one of their central offices by a
co-locator.  So, NEBS and "High Availability" are often mentioned in the same
breath.  However, NEBS doesn't dictate your power supply architecture as to
whether it is redundant or not.  You may find it more cost-effective in some
applications to consider a single high-MTBF power supply.

Scott Baer
Scott J. Baer, P.E.
Product Compliance Engineer
AG Communication Systems