From: JIM WIESE [mailto:jim.wi...@adtran.com]
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 3:54 PM
To: emc-pstc; Collins, Jeffrey
Subject: RE: NEBS: GR-63 Altitude Test Profile

Hello Jeffrey,

Basically, to demonstrate compliance with "GR-63-CORE", no altitude testing
is required assuming you have passed the standard temperature and humidity
profile.  The rationale is that, at that altitude, heating the facility will
be the primary concern, not cooling it.  According to the national weather
service, the expected ambient high temperature at that altitude is less than
20C.  If a facility at that altitude lost HVAC, it probably would start
cooling off rather than heating up.  Thus the reason there is no test
method.  It was simply intended as a design criteria that should be
considered.

However you can demonstrate compliance above and beyond the current
GR-63-CORE for altitude by raising the temperature limits during the
operational temperature and humidity testing by 1 degree C per 1000 foot of
altitude that you want to simulate.  This assumes you do not have components
that may be altitude sensitive.  It also assumes worst case conditions for
the amount of heat that your product may be generating.

However, some ILEC's may want to see an actual altitude test depending upon
the equipment type and application.  In this case Richard Kluge at Telcordia
has developed a "proposed" altitude exposure test and he has a paper that
was written in December of 1999 covering the rationale etc.  Telcordia now
has an altitude chamber and is conducting a study to determine if altitude
is a potential concern based on the design of modern telecommunications
equipment for the next revision of GR-63-CORE.

Attached is the Telcordia document from Richard Kluge, note that the
temperatures recommended for testing at altitude are much lower than 50C,
and thus are looking more at determining component altitude sensitivity
rather than reduced air density and temperature.

 <<Adobe Portable Document>>

These are solely my opinions, and not necessarily those of my employer

Jim

Jim Wiese
NEBS Project Manager/Compliance Engineer
ADTRAN, INC.
901 Explorer Blvd.
P.O. Box 140000
Huntsville, AL 35814-4000