Ethernet interfaces are normally connected to twisted pair cat 5 cable that
run long distances thoughout a facility just as a DSX-1 or other
intra-building interface.  As such, Jim Brunssen at Telcordia who is
responsible for GR-1089-CORE has stated that Ethernet ports used on network
equipment are to be tested just as any telecommunications interface (such as
a DSX-1) would be.  Jon Curtis (of Curtis Straus) also gave a presentation
at NEBS 1999 in Las Vegas stating that 10baseT and 100 baseT ports on
network equipment must be tested.  I suspect you will also find that all or
most of the NRTL's will require these ports to be tested as part of a
lightning or power fault evaluation.

Jim Brunssen can be reached at 973-929-2977.  John Curtis is the maintainer
of this listserver and can also be reached at 978-486-0888.  I might also
suggest possibly contacting ITS in Lexington, KY at 1-800-788-3061 if
further clarification is required.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim Wiese
NEBS Project Manager/Compliance Engineer
ADTRAN, INC.
901 Explorer Blvd.
P.O. Box 140000
Huntsville, AL 35814-4000