Matt,

I have experienced this and it depends on how bad the RBOC wants your
product.  It also depends on the RBOC.  In SBC and Verizon contracts, if
your product doesn't meet the requirements, you have to bring it up to
compliance at your own expense.  One "exception" I've seen is for the Heat
Dissipation Objective.  If you don't meet this, then the RBOC has to make
space for your product - something they do not like to do.

No RBOC is going to tell us that they have exceptions, they want us to
design our products to meet all of GR-63-CORE (and GR-1089-CORE plus
others).  This is especially true for new telecom equipment vendors - we
really don't have any excuse for not meeting all of the requirements - we
are, after all, designing the product from scratch.  Considering the money
that RBOCs will spend on new equipment ($billions), it makes financial sense
for us to give them what they want.

The big telecom equipment vendors have a lot of legacy equipment that
doesn't meet all of the requirements; they possible use this as leverage
when their "newer" equipment doesn't comply.  Newer companies do not have
this luxury.   Be real careful going down this path and remember that the
customer is always right.

Best regards,

Dave