Tom,

There must be some document within the Telcordia library which does call out
the requirements but the base requirements are given below.

The references that you want to examine are:

North America: ANSI T1.315-1994, Voltage Levels for DC-Powered Equipment –
Used in the Telecommunications Environment

European Union: ETS 300 132-2, Equipment Engineering (EE); Power supply
interface at the input to telecommunications equipment; Part2: Operated by
direct current (dc)

Customer Specific: AT&T 802-010-100 "In-Bay Power Architecture"

In general, the worst case range for -48V (nominal) DC power plants is -40
to -60V.

There are also different specs for other countries. Brazil used to have a
requirement to go down to -36V. I don't know if that is still in place but
really hope that it isn't!

Regards,
Marko Radojicic
Hardware Design Assurance, Maple Optical Systems
ma...@mapleoptical.com
Phone: 408/545-1263
FAX: 408/434-9209