Another issue of concern regarding the Verizon ITL program would be the
conflict it creates with ISO 17025.
Here is a direct quote from ANSI/ISO/IEC 17025:1999E that I have.

Page 2,

Section 4.1.4

NOTE 2 If the laboratory wishes to be recognized as a third-party laboratory,
it should be able to demonstrate that it is impartial and that it and its
personnel are free from any undue commercial, financial an other pressures
which might influence their technical judgement. The third-party testing or
calibration laboratory should not engage in any activities that may endanger
the trust in its independence of judgement and integrity in relation to its
testing or calibration activities.

I do not know for sure, but some RBOC's may view the Verizon ITL program as a
violation of ISO 17025, the same accreditation that Verizon states a lab must
maintain.

Don Bennett
Director of Telecom Compliance
Garwood Laboratories