John,
The current of 23.4A is max current, and is used to calculate the heat
release.  Your report should also contain a "nominal" current, under normal
operation (since all phones off hook at once is rare, to put is safely).  It
is understood in the industry that equipment produced now does not meet the
requirement that exists in GR-63, which is actually 27.9 W/ft2/vert.ft for
forced air cooled and 20.9 W/ft2/vert. ft for convection cooled.  But in any
case, to answer your question about the equipment being located all in one
rack, what the RBOC will do is ask how many additional feet are required for
the unit to meet the GR-63 objectives for heat release.  By providing this
information, in some cases the RBOC will allocate more space for that
device, by leaving more room in the rack, for example.  There is no
allowance taken for POTS configs, and it is probably better that way for 2
reasons:
1. The RBOCs are very aware of what they are purchasing, and they will make
concessions for certain equipment.
2. If there was a stipulation for POTS equipment, than they would have to
make a stipulation for a multitude of equipment for various reasons, which
would make this testing even more aggrivating than it already is!!
I hope this helps somewhat, and let me know if you have any other questions,
or need other clarification.
Regards,
Don Bennett
Director of Telecom Compliance