I am looking for some guidance in understanding the separation
(creepage/clearance) requirements with regard to TNV circuits in UL 1950
3rd and IEC 950 and its derivatives.

Why is there a requirement that TNV circuits have basic insulation
between TNV1 and TNV3 circuits?

I am asking the question for the following reasons:

The telco network provider is generally exempt from listing requirements
altogether.  They have no restrictions on separation of circuits and
have TNV 1, TNV 3 and span powered circuits (200 VDC HDSL, T1 etc.)
intermingled at the central office in channel banks, cross connects etc.
 They provide these services via cables that are spliced, cross
connected and intermingled in the Outside Plant.  They are also
intermingled without regard to spacings at the distribution and
demarcation points.  Since it is a fact that these services are not
separated by "basic" insulation, why would it be important to separate
TNV1 and TNV 3 in the terminating equipment.  To me it seems like a
chain made of paper, and at the end of the chain the standards are
requiring a steel link.

Secondly, do the standards assume that faults of TNV 1, TNV 3, and other
high voltage telco services could be faulted by the telco provider
inadvertently and therefore this type of fault is accounted for by the
dielectric test (and other restrictions) between SELV/chassis and TNV 1,
and TNV 3.

Any input would be appreciated and helpful.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Wiese
ADTRAN, INC.