Hello Peter:

I have looked into this issue a bit, and have received different answers from
different test labs.  Clause 1.5.1 of UL 1950 and EN 60950 states "Where safety
is involved, components shall comply  either with the requirements of this
standard or with the safety aspects of the relevant IEC component standard..."

For capacitors, the most stringent reading I have received is:  For
international use, the applicable IEC capacitor standard would be IEC 384-14.
A Y2 capacitor would be the one to use here, as this is required to pass a
1500VAC Voltage Proof test.

The creepage and clearance dictated by IEC 384-14 is 3.0mm (assuming a working
voltage between 130V and 250V), and the minimum clearance is 2.5mm.  This would
exceed the UL 1950 and EN 60950 requirements for your case.

Regarding resistors, I would refer to clause 6.3.3.1 and 6.4.2.  6.3.3.1 states
that "...components bridging the insulation that are left in place during the
electric strength testing shall not be damaged...".  Also, I would use the
logic dictated by clause 2.2.8.2 regarding resistors bridging DOUBLE
INSULATION, and make sure that the external creepage and clearance distances
between the terminals complies with the relevant creepage and clearance
requirements.

For Capacitors, I would recommend using an approved component.  I don't think
that there is a such thing for resistors however.

Also, be aware of the ground to network isolation requirements in Norway,
Sweden, and Finland.  They require SUPPLEMENTARY INSULATION for a PRIMARY
CIRCUIT between ground and TNV.  This will increase the necessary creepage
distance to 2.5mm, and clearance to 2.0mm.  A Y2 cap should work here also.

Check the TREG archives also, as there has been previous discussion on this
issue.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

Mel Pedersen                            Midcom, Inc.
Homologations Engineer             Phone:  (605) 882-8535
mpeder...@midcom-inc.com     Fax:  (605) 882-8633